Pup that eats everything!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Annamarie Gebar, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Annamarie Gebar

Annamarie Gebar Registered Users

Sophie is 8 months and still not growing out of her eating everything stage. I’ve taught her a strong leave it and drop it cue, but when I’m not around, she eats everything. I’m up at least once a week if not 2 during the night from her vomiting up what she ate. I’m concerned she’s gonna eat something really bad at some point. Right now it’s primarily tree bark, sticks or mulch and they all make her vomit in the middle of the night.

I know labs are bad for this but please tell me she WILL grow out of this! I need some success stories to be hopeful. Please share your experiences! TIA.

2. ElmackNZ

ElmackNZ Registered Users

Please tell me Sophie grew out of this! I have Nelson who is 5 months old and is a terror at swallowing everything. We've had 3 emergency vet visits already and have tried to be so careful. It's contributing to the long lasting puppy blues I have

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Yes, they definitely grow out of it. Just try and keep everything out of reach. I had child gates everywhere and eyes like a hawk ! It's a tough stage, but it does pass. Hang in there.

4. DebsLab

DebsLab Registered Users

My lab likes wood and at 6 months I don't see an end in site! I keep him in pen when not watching him but all the redirection trainers online mention doesn't work if you aren't there. I found even being there I had to keep getting him away from the window sill or molding. He's past teething now, he just likes it. I'm waiting to paint and stain until later. : /
    I found the biting at 6 months ebbed a lot but not entirely. He still bites when tired and over exited. I don't want neighborhood kids to pet him unless I'm on top of him and watching like a hawk. I don't think it would be intentional but he loves to explore with his mouth.He does't break skin but leaves marks at times.
    My last lab ate things like cloth, socks, hair ties, underwear. We were diligent but one sock got through and he had to have surgery. I'm glad this one seems to not like ingesting things but the chewing on wood is upsetting. Any tips? He doesn't care what I put on it, likes the taste of bitter apple, furniture polish, even the lotion I put on my skin ; )

5. Annamarie Gebar

Annamarie Gebar Registered Users

Sophie is 12 month this week and her eating everything has greatly improved in areas I’ve taught her leave it. If left on her own in the yard with no supervision though, she still will eat mulch if she gets bored then puke it up at night.

so, I’ve decided to remedy the situation by removing the mulch and putting sod down.

my flower beds will be rocks next year because she has no interest in those. Eating everything else has definitely stopped - she’s never destroyed anything in my house and her behavior is generally calming down a bit. Still acting like a puppy, but no longer a nightmare and I can direct her to exhibit proper behavior. Hang in there!

6. dmrdragon

dmrdragon Registered Users

Redoing the yard is not a bad thought. My old male was almost 2 before he stopped destroying anything that grew in the backyard. One day he just stopped doing it. I was finally able to grow things again.