Pup with leaky anal glands

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by FoxBelle, Jan 8, 2020.

1. FoxBelle

FoxBelle Registered Users

Apologies in advance for mentioning this unpleasant subject! :cwl::chuckle:

My pup is 6 months old and on a regular basis will leak some anal gland fluid.
    Her stools are always firm and we’ve even been to the vets and had them expressed. The vet said that the contents were normal and not full or blocked.
    When she leaks some fluid it tends to be when she’s asleep or relaxed, not when frightened or excited like the internet suggests can be a cause.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences? Will she grow out of it or will it be something we have to live with?

Thank you in advance!!

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Oh no, poor you! And poor her!

I don't have any experience of this with our dogs, but if I were you i'd probably get a second opinion from another vet just to see if you can get some kind of solution or reassurance.

Hope it all clears up soon or she grows out of it!

FoxBelle likes this.
  3. Lucius Maximus

Lucius Maximus Registered Users

Hi!

My lab is now 4 years old and has always had this issue! We found out from our new vet that his glands are located in the wrong spot (one is too far in and the other he has to twist round to express it) which means even if he has firm stools, which he does because he is on a raw diet, the glands do not get expressed properly. We've resorted to going down to the vet every two months or so to have them expressed which is not a permenant solution but for now it does help.

Hope this helps!

FoxBelle likes this.