Puppies and Steps / carrying

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Sarah Butterworth, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Sarah Butterworth

Sarah Butterworth Registered Users

HI there, I have a new pup, Beetle, now 11 weeks old. When she goes out I have to carry her up and down my garden steps - and this happens a lot. She now wants to run up and down them. They're not very steep as each step has about a meter between them and they are about 15-20 cm high. I am not sure whether I am doing her more harm picking her up all the time (I've checked I'm carrying her correctly) - or letting her run up and down them. Any advice please? Thanks, Sarah

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The advice to limit steps or carry them really applies (based on what scanty evidence there is) for puppies under 3 months old and doing flights of steps/stairs multiple times a day.

After this, it's just common sense. If your 12 week old puppy is bounding down garden steps like a total hooligan, jumping over them etc. the chances of her mis-stepping and landing badly on soft still forming joints etc. is increased.

That said, there is a practical limit as to what you can do to stop puppies throwing themselves around the place and you've just got to take what precautions you can, and then hope for the best.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I carry mine for as long as I can pick them up - which is usually to about 13 weeks

Then they need training to take steps carefully and slowly - every time if you can. But that is difficult when they are playing - easy on a lead. I get round it by limiting garden play and trying to keep her to the grass side when playing.

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I also have a few steps up to my garden. I did carry Molly up and down for a few weeks but then it became too difficult, so I stood by her as she went slowly up and down and blocked them off so she couldn't run up and down by herself. (At that age I always went in the garden with her). I can't remember when I removed the barrier to the steps, but it was when she was physically big enough to take the steps easily -and by that stage she was having enough exercise outside the garden not to want to race up and down steps.

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

How many steps? A run of a metre with a rise of 15 cm is more like a slope but 20 cm would be a high step. Most house stairs have a rise of about 15 cm ( 6 inches) but a ten inch rise (20 cm) is kind of high. I would still let a puppy do them with help and supervision if there were only two or three and not up and down willy nilly.

6. Ruth Ellison

Ruth Ellison Registered Users

Let her do what she wants. I know she would make things go messy but dogs are just like humans, if you'll limit her then she won't open up.

7. Sarah Butterworth

Thanks Julie. I'll carry her over the next 10 days. Happy Christmas.

8. Sarah Butterworth

Thanks Everyone re the advice. I just wonder whether the constant picking up and carrying is doing more harm than the steps, but maybe not.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If you are picking her up correctly, it shouldn't do any harm. As they get a bit older, they tend to not like being picked up - I suppose it's not very comfortable for an adult dog to be picked up by a human. Neither of my dogs like being picked up, they will both tolerate it, but they don't like it very much.

10. MF

MF Registered Users

Re picking up - the thing to ensure is you don't bruise the tummy. Therefore don't put your arm under her tummy. A vet I know said he'd get puppies in with terrible bruising on the tummy from incorrect picking up. Put one arm under the hind legs/bum so that she's kind of sitting on your arm, and your other arm under the armpits/rib cage or between the front legs - I see in my mind a picture of a shepherd picking up a lamb. Make sure your not pressing on soft tummy tissue. And don't yank her joints when picking up.