Puppy Antics!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by satyajit, Oct 12, 2017.

1. satyajit

satyajit Registered Users

Hi

My 4 month old puppy is getting increasingly fidgety.
    He is chewing anything and everything. He's been chewing tables & chairs, chewing off books & papers, He keeps running off with shoes, slippers and socks.
    Basically he's just short of running amok kinds!

Why is he so hyper-active?
    We don't have a balcony in our house, so we keep him indoors only and I am working so I leave him alone for the day.

Any suggestions please?

2. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Hi @satyajit,

Firstly you're describing a very normal puppy and normal behaviour. They are so curious about the world and their environment as it is all so new. And they do a lot of exploring with their mouths, especially when they have their baby teeth.

If you don't want socks, books, papers etc chewed you need to keep them out of reach.

But also, if he has had his injections he needs to be getting out for fresh air and short walks. Plus, if he's alone all day he will be bored and that will lead to destruction of his surroundings, as you are witnessing. He is too young to be left alone all day.

Where is he going to wee and poo? Does he get any time outside?

Can you find family and or friends or a neighbour or pay a dog-walker to spend time with him throughout the day so he gets company? Labradors are social animals and like and need company. I don't want to be negative but if it carries on as it is now, it will only get worse.

Aitch and Joy like this.
  3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @satyajit, I agree with @Plum's mum , his behaviour is very normal for a puppy of his age, and also that he needs to spend time with you, or someone else when you can't be there, and have physical and mental exercise. I hope you can find someway of providing this for him.

If that's him in your avatar he looks a lovely pup, what is his name?

Aitch likes this.