Puppy ate a sock

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by GoldenlabZola, Dec 3, 2020.

1. GoldenlabZola

GoldenlabZola Registered Users

Hi everyone

Looking for advice again. Something always seems to be happening with my 5 1/2 month old lab, Zola

So on Monday night I was hanging up my washing and she’s nabbed a very small sports style trainer sock the ones you can’t see when you’re wearing pump style shoes. I went to grab the treats to get her to drop it and she’d swallowed it in a second. She’s done this once before and I didn’t know until it reappeared in her poop so god knows how long it took to come through.

We had a scheduled visit to the vets on Tuesday for her worming tablet so I said to them. They advised me to give her porridge to bulk her up and empty her stomach contents. I done that and it didn’t work. They asked me to check in today which I done. Gave me some lactulose which I’ve given and she’s had a very runny poop but still no sock.

Shes as crazy and as active as ever. Eating and drinking. Peeing and was pooping normally until I gave the lactulose. Her stomach is not sore of distended. She’s totally normal. As if it never happened.

If she doesn’t pass it they want to X-ray her but obviously that’s done under sedation and this worries me. But I also know how quickly dogs can deteriorate especially if the sock starts to cause a blockage.

Does anyone have any experience or any advice? I’ve read it can take several days for something to pass and I just don’t want her to be sedated if she doesn’t need to be.

I’ve now started washing my socks in a separate bag and keeping them well out of reach. She’s so fast and I need eyes on the back of my head.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Rick71

Rick71 Registered Users

My lab used to eat my sons’ sock all the time. A day or two or three later she always threw them up, as gross as that sounds and was. They were always cigar shaped when they exited. She lived to be 13 and died last October. She was the best

Simbabear likes this.
  3. Simbabear

Simbabear Registered Users

Mine has done this as well-hes 9months and I've had a few occasions of cigar shapes mixes in- a few little bits like my glove fingers he managed to pinch and made them fingerless came out the poop end along with a foam earbud quite young.
    I do keep everything as tidy as poss and keep most things out of his way but occasionly he will fly in when I'm doing the washing and grab the sock and try turning it into a game