Puppy ate dead bird

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JeanRiach, Dec 15, 2015.

1. JeanRiach

JeanRiach Registered Users

Hi, I don't know what I should do, if anything, but my 4 month old just ate a dead bird. She ate it ALL. This could be normal for labs but she's my first after 30 odd years of German shepherds.. Please advise..

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh heavens, these dogs do some disgusting things at times :eek::eek: Mine have done similar things , the results usually being an explosion from the rear end, but as she is so young, maybe call your Vet for advice ? They might just need to give her an antibiotic , but I`m afraid that yes, this is typical of Labs I`m afraid , sorry .

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yes it is normal very normal. Work on your leave it command if you can. you will develop a sixth sense about edibles in your pups enviroment basically they eat everything even stuff that does not qualify as food. Mine have most types of poop dead things live things and weird stuff like key fobs when they have been pups. Distraction and leave it helps but it is often a phase they are just trying everything. For the first few months of a young labs life I'm sure they think their names are "Leave it"
    big things like birds and dead things are often the things which you can deal with easliy because you usually see them get eaten its the small things like stones conkers household stuff that you don't see that can really be a problem. I learnt to watch mine like a hawk when they were young and work on the leave it command.
    Dead animals can be harmful if they are rotten or just too big for a small stomach. keep a close eye on your pup. They may just digest it but if they seem quiet or uncomfortable please have a word with your vet. You should see bits of it come through.
    If you are worried about it speak to your vet, it is normal they just eat stuff.... all stuff. They do like to roll in all the stuff they eat like dead things too so watch out. No one every mentions these things about labradors in the breed standard unfortunately and it can be quiet a shock when you realise they live to eat and will give anything ago.
    I love my labs and have 3 at the moment and would love another despite they strange ways. Hope your pup is ok and that you are too I know it can be a bit of a shock, but be prepared she may try to eat more horrid things

4. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Yes take him to the vets like Kate says, he is very young. It will put your mind at rest. My old dog Robbie, when he was a pup eat a whole mouse in one :eek:. I could just see the tail hanging out of his mouth, I said drop and he just swallowed it, He was ok.

5. SwampDonkey

When midge was very small i mean tiny she found a whole nest of pinkies and ate them gulp gulp gulp before I could get to her. She's always been the most hunty on my labs and I've had to drag some awful things out of her mouth over they years

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

When Fred was 12 weeks old he brought me a lovely dead rat :eek::eek: He tried to give it to me in my hand, I kept saying drop it, he looked at me like I was mad. In the end I had to get my OH to take it off him. He put a glove on. If there is one thing I can't stand it is a rat. The cat had been up the road to the sables and brought it back and left it in the garden.

7. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

Jura also found a dead rat at 4 months, she was throwing it up in the air and dancing around it! Dead things and poo always a great temptation, and definitely normal for labs. She's currently on antibiotics due to an upset tum after finding some cat poo in the garden which she obviously managed to get a sneaky mouthful before dropping it :confused:. I'd also recommend you speak to your vet and get their advice, will put your mind at rest.

Hope your pup is fine, let us know how you get on.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I wouldn't be too worried about your pup having eaten a dead bird. How dead was it, by the way, like, fairly fresh.....or not? If she starts looking unwell (lethargic), loses interest in food, gets bad diarrhoea or vomits repeatedly (other than just throwing up the bird), then a vet visit would be the best thing. Mostly dogs eat stuff like that with no ill effect so most likely things will be fine. Unfortunately, as everyone has said, this is pretty normal for Labradors....

9. SwampDonkey

They seem to be able to cope well with alls sort of wildlife. i always love those stories were the lab has gone missing on holiday or something and they are found fit and well 6 months later. Their owners always say so glad to have her back and we just don't know how she survived all this time on her own. Well we all know don't we. Its lovely to see the lab home but it does not bare thinking about their recent diet. When midge catches a dove out of the air and snaffles it down like she's never been fed, it as if some alien suddenly takes over

10. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Yuk, they definitely eat the most disgusting things. Mabel just found something under a tree I literally have no idea what it was it was the most slimy putrid thing ever. Lucky for me she preferred chicken from my pocket. The cue "leave it" is still work in progress.
    I'd keep a close eye on her and call the vet if you have any concerns.

11. Camy

Camy Registered Users

You got great advise.I would say the same: teach "leave it", close eye and call the vet to put your mind at ease.
    Just to make you smile when he was a puppy mine eat an entire onion the he found on the ground. We were still work in progress with "leave it" but i didn't even got a chance to say it. He just got it in his mouth and swallowed it, That evening we were thinking about sleeping outside (and we live in an apartment) that how bad it was. Winter and we had most of our windows open :)))