Puppy attacking gloves and walking on the leash

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Irina Navrotskaya, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Irina Navrotskaya

Irina Navrotskaya Registered Users

I have a 5 month old lab/shepherd female puppy. Ever since I had her (for over three months), she has had a problem with gloves. She attacks any kind of gloves: rubber, latex, outside gloves, thin or heavy ones for winter. I guess she is thinking that the gloves are meant to play with. I tried to spray them with bitter Yuck, literally soaking gloves with them. It has no effect. I tried hot pepper source. She actually just likes it. I do not know what to do, because I can not walk outside with her without gloves.

I also have another question. Shew is still not trained to walk properly on the leash. That is, she pulls ahead. The teacher in the puppy class I attended uses treats to reward for loosing the leash. It did not work very well for us, unfortunately. My puppy could only walk with loose leash if I constantly fed her treats. She would then focus on getting the treat and stayed close. However, it did not teach her to walk with loose leash. Besides, it is cold now, and I can not hold a treat in my hand constantly because I wear gloves. I would appreciate any advice about walking training.

Thank you!

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

I would try using reverse luring to teach your dog not to bite your gloves.

From your description I think you were trying to teach your puppy heeling. Heeling is a hard behaviour to teach a dog and requires much practise and good timing. My advice would be to enrol in a beginners' obedience class.

If you have taught a conditioned reinforcer then, although it is not ideal, you can take your glove off to distribute the treat to your dog. The dog has heard the click or marker word and knows a treat is forthcoming.

Alternatively, teach heeling in the warm lounge room and you don't need gloves. Once working there, teach heeling in the dining room and so on.

3. amelbeach

amelbeach Registered Users

How long does it take him to stop biting when you stop? You may just be overdoing it and confusing him.

Bring treats. When he bites, stop moving. AS SOON AS HE STOPS BITING give him a treat and keep walking. Give him treats occasionally as you're walking when he's not biting. If he starts up again, wait until he stops and give another treat.

9Apps Showbox