Puppy barking in crate when left alone. Please help

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kendra, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Kendra

Kendra Registered Users

Webber is 5mths old and is crate trained and he has no issues going in his crate when I leave or at night. The issues is he can not stand to be alone. He will bark all day if he has to be left alone. I play fetch with him about 20mins in the morning before leaving, he has a frozen kong filled peanut butter, I do not make a big deal when leaving and entering, I leave the TV on, I put a blanket over his crate,but as soon as he figures out he is alone he starts barking. Im sure we haven't done the best because after about 20minutes my parents will get up to let him out. (I am trying to work on that). About two weeks ago we thought he was doing a lot better because he would only bark for about 5 minutes and then stop. Just last week it has gotten worse as if he is regressing back to when he was 12weeks old. Im not sure what I can do to help with this problem. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

All dogs need to learn to be alone but shutting them in a crate and leaving them to bark is not the way to go about it. Does he do anythong other than bark in the crate? Does he eat the kong and then start barking? How is he when he comes out of the crate? Sorry for the questions but it could be that Webber is showing seperation distress and leaving him to cry in the crate will not help.

BevE likes this.
  3. Kendra

Kendra Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. He usually just barks. Sometimes he will pee but that's not often anymore. He eats his kong and then starts barking. We we let him out he us excited but calms down.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You need to go right back to basics, and start with leaving him alone for just seconds at a time... Then 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute... And so on.

I lost the battle trying to crate train Merlin - we gave up because he hated it so much. Now we leave him just in his ordinary dog bed when we go out, next to Poppy in her bed. So far, this is working for us, but we do have the calm older dog with him.

Jojo83 likes this.
  5. FirstTimer18

FirstTimer18 Registered Users

How are things now for the OP?
    We’re going through the exact same thing with our 15 week old pup. He goes to sleep in his crate no problem, we go out (for about an hour) but the minute he wakes from his nap he starts barking and doesn’t stop.
    I’m wondering if the OP’s Puppy has made any progress?