Puppy Barking

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, Oct 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Not my pup, but my boyfriend's mom's. She has a male chocolate named Parker and he's a couple weeks over 2 months, maybe about 3 months old. She said he will bark at her when she is making dinner, when she is sitting on the couch reading, and just any other time that she basically is not paying attention to him. Is there anything she can do to help with this? She said it is really frustrating. She called me today and I could hear him barking in the background! This is not her first lab, but her first pup she is raising on her own. Aspen never barked as a pup, only when we tried placing him in his puppy play pen. Has anyone else had this issue? I want to be able to give her some suggestions but I am not really sure what she should do!

2. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

I guess it ignoring (not aknowledging him when he's barking)it but also clicking and treat for quiet.

alschwahn likes this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Be sure not to give eye contact, speak or any other attention when barking, turn your back. Lots of praise and treats for quiet.

When preparing food step away from the preparation area when he’s barking, continue preparing when he’s quiet. Keir does this at food preparation time and he’s got the message, it’s hilarious seeing him working hard not to bark, one slips out occasionally- I step back every time, soon he won’t be doing it at all :)

alschwahn and selina27 like this.
  4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

It is totally normal for puppies to bark for attention. Barking is after all communication. First it's ensuring that pup is getting plenty of interaction. Train pup to be in crate/on mat etc when we can't interact. Give him a chew toy, a kong etc to occupy him.
    If he's barking at her tell her to get up and leave the room and return as soon as he's quiet. They very quickly put your leaving with their barking and learn that barking for attention is counter productive

alschwahn likes this.