puppy bathing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by labl0ver, Oct 10, 2018.

1. labl0ver

labl0ver Registered Users

Getting excited about the new pup only 4 more sleeps until we pick him up.
    It seems the general rule is to only bathe when absolutely necessary to avoid losing essential oils, and spot cleaning can be done for those moments of over exuberance with fox poo etc.
    The pandemonium of 9 pups in a pen will surely result in Cooper returning with us with some parting 'scent' from his crew, should we be looking to sponge him once he gets home, or just let him settle for a few days and sponge, or leave to naturally 'air off'.

2. leighxxxx

leighxxxx Registered Users

I picked Kyko up just over 2 weeks ago & he has no smell other than that delicious puppy smell they have. In my experience of owning labs before they do have a 'smell' all of their own when they grow up but I believe washing them can strip the coat of oils & make them less waterproof. I have always just bathed my labs when the smell became overpowering or they got particularly dirty. I think with Kyko I'll take him to the groomers twice a year when his shedding becomes bad, just because they will get all the dead hair out of his coat

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Agree with @leighxxxx no need to wash or sponge your pup. I bought a shedding rake. No need for a groomer.

4. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

Chewie is 7 months old tomorrow. He has never been bathed. When we got him he just smelled like a dog, and to me even now he just has a pleasantly doggy smell. I'm sure people who visit our house might have different opinions, but who cares?

So far we have just been able to brush or wipe dirt off him.

leighxxxx likes this.
  5. leighxxxx

leighxxxx Registered Users

I got some cheap wipes just to clean his feet as he pees on them a lot due to not cocking his leg yet. Even with that I've only used them once it's not like he's walking over my food prep areas with piddly paws. I bring him to work with me & have asked various people if he has left a 'dog smell' because maybe I'm just used to it & they all say he doesn't smell