Puppy bites really hurt

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Nyah Le, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Nyah Le

Nyah Le Registered Users

I have a 3 months old male labrador and I have been struggling a lot with his biting.
    Sometimes out of nowhere, he runs like crazy in the house and jumps on biting my thighs, yanking my shirt till it ripped. We have our everyday walk session and we play fetch a lot, maybe that wasn’t enough? When I sit, he jumps on me pulling my hair and biting my face.
    I tried to calm him by sitting still away from him a bit, said ”no” clearly, but he kept jump on biting and even barks at me. It's really hurts, draws blood on my face and hands and ripped clothings.
    I don’t know if this is aggression, excitement, teething or anxiety. This is the first time I’ve ever gotten a puppy, I’m so worried. He’s so nice with people, I need advices. I’m really concerned, because now he’s started to bite me when I pet him too.

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, some puppies do bite very hard. It sounds as though your puppy is getting very overexcited and doesn't know how else to get your attention. Have a look at this thread. https://thelabradorforum.com/threads/biting-puppies-help-for-new-puppy-parents.24782/

There are lots of tips there. Are you spending any time training your puppy yet? If not, try to set aside a few minutes three or four times a day, when you use some of your puppy's food to reward behaviors that you want your puppy to repeat. Keeping all paws on the floor for example. Or sitting, or simply looking at you. Say YES when your puppy does a thing you like and drop a piece of food on the floor for him. It's important to focus on saying YES rather than saying NO.

The idea is to give your puppy alternative ways of communicating with you. :)

Nyah Le likes this.
  3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Use the search bar (top right) of the page, because this topic comes up very frequently and you will learn that 1) you're not alone and that 2) there are loads of great suggestions out there...