Puppy biting older dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Annie Henderson, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Annie Henderson

Annie Henderson Registered Users

Hello, I am new to the forum and to labs. I have a 7 year old Cavachon who loves other dogs, especially labradors, hence us getting Hovis who is now 12 weeks. He is fabulous and we adore him already. He sleeps really well and consistently goes outside to toilet. The boys are doing ok except Hovis insists on nipping Archie and seems to love his fluffy tail, he has even pulled some hair out! We have had Archie’s fur shaved off to stop Hovis from pulling him by it. Is there anything we can do to stop the nipping?

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Annie, welcome to the forum :)

Your boys sound lovely! Hovis is such a good name.

We've got an article about introducing puppies and older dogs here on our main site. Hovis is just behaving like any normal puppy, so the most important thing you can do while he's growing up is make sure that Archie can get away somewhere Hovis can't follow, whenever he wants a break from it all :)

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

3. Danette

Danette Registered Users

Annie - how are things going with your dogs? We have 2 cavaliers that are 12 yrs old and our puppy just turned 15 weeks. We are having similar issues with our puppy wanting to play and our cavies wanting to be left alone so he will nip at them to try to get them to engage. I have had success with distracting him with toys (stuffed dog is his favorite) and "claiming them / the space". I just read the article Sarah posted and tried the separation technique which worked, he calmed right down and after a couple of minutes when he came out, he took a nap with everyone. Fingers crossed this is something that we can add to the toolbox!