Puppy biting, what have I gotten myself into?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Pancakes, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Pancakes

Pancakes Registered Users

we adopted Mylo at 3.5 weeks a couple of days ago..and I have never been so stressed out in my life!

He bites at my ankles, my husbands shorts, and even tries for my face when I’m sitting down! We tried to just say NO, but that wasn’t working...as of today, I have started to lock myself in the bathroom as well when he does this...we don’t have the space to set up a baby gate. Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions as well for how to prevent them from jumping up on the kitchen cabinets?? I tried saying no and pushing him down, but I think he’s interpreting that as playing?

Thanks for your support everyone! I never knew how hard this would be..

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling. Puppies, especially Labs, can be incredibly bitey in the first few weeks! You can find some advice for dealing with this here: https://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppies-biting/

I'd also recommend looking up Kikopup's videos on puppy biting, as they should some positive reinforcement based training techniques you can implement to help.

Does Mylo jump up at the units in the kitchen if they are totally clear of anything interesting (like dirty plates, things that can be easily picked up)? Having a really thorough tidy up can help in these situations, so that he's less incentive to try and access them.

3. katsme

katsme Registered Users

Am I correct that you are saying Mylo was 3.5 weeks old when you adopted him? That’s very young to be taken from the mom and the rest of the litter, so he might need some additional considerations in care and training. My lab was 8 weeks old and the biting was non stop, but once I figured out some of his triggers (petting was one of them) and how to redirect him it has gotten better.

4. Pancakes

Pancakes Registered Users

Oops my bad, I meant to write 3.5 months old!
    So far redirecting has helped some with the biting. I find after walks he comes back home and becomes a little demon. I do my best to calm him down by ignoring and doing my best to get his attention on a chew toy instead...

I leave absolutely no food on the counters (I’m a major neat freak haha). He jumps to see what we’re doing..even if it’s brushing our teeth. I offer him a treat when he sits or lays on the ground instead. Thoughts on how to solve any other ways?

5. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

We have had our puppy for 7 weeks now and she is much better than she was.

You need to find out what his triggers are. Luna's is when she is tired or hungry.

Ways to help when he starts biting/playing up:
    • Remove yourself from the room/situation. He wants attention and he will learn that by biting he gets none and ends up on his own.
    • When going for shorts/ankles try to switch to training mode - sit, paw, lie down. This gives him attention and stimulates him at the same time.
    • If he is tired try help him calm down - find a chew toy that he likes and is happy to sit and chew/play with quietly. If there is nothing just now you can use a Likimat with peanut butter/banana. This is made to help calm dogs and will also give you 5 minutes peace. Once finished provide a chew toy to help keep him calm.
    When he starts jumping up he is wanting to see what you are doing - is he going to get some food. Try stepping back and holding your hands up, when he stops/sits down then go back to it. If he keeps doing it then keep taking another step back and keep going until he realises.

Have you crate trained him? We decided not to and used the crate as a bit of a time out/calm method. When she got really bitey and over excited we put her in until she was quiet then let her out. Now she is 15 weeks and we don't need to do this any more!

Good Luck and remember, he is still getting used to you too so will be pushing the boundaries to see what is acceptable.