Puppy bullying older dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Ondrea, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Ondrea

Ondrea Registered Users

We have a 4 year old female lab. She is the sweetest most loving dog! We got a puppy about 2 months ago. Since day 1 this puppy will nip and bite onto the older dogs neck, ears, face. While my older dog just sits there and takes it. I was told by the breeder we got the puppy from, to just let the older dog alpha the puppy a couple times and the puppy will understand the older dog is the boss. Well my 4yo wont put the smack down on her! I'm not sure why because the puppy is non stop nipping and trying to rile her up. They do have some good play sessions but the pup just doesnt know when to stop. Will my older dog alpha her when the puppy is older? Or is my older dog just a pushover? What can I do to stop this behavior?

Deboragh likes this.
  2. Deboragh

Deboragh Registered Users

3. Deboragh

Deboragh Registered Users

Maybe your older dog is genuinely not bothered by the play biting. Being covered with fur and all...our old Lab was also very tolerant of puppy behaviour
    Count yourself lucky!

4. Ondrea

Ondrea Registered Users

Yea I just feel bad for my older dog. The puppy is trying to be more dominant and trying to take the house over I feel. When me and my hubby are on the couch for example, our older dog will be in between us. I try to put the pup on either side of me and my husband but she always ends up in between me and the older dog. Then my older dog will just slink away to the floor. Looks pitiful! I want to be able to cuddle both of them but both of them wont allow that.

5. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

You should have a place where the older dog can get away from the puppy. It is not fair on the older dog to let the annoying behaviour to continue non-stop. For periods of time, either put the puppy in a pen or a crate so that the older dog can have some peace with you. The younger dog needs to learn to share you. So, get the younger dog to stay in a sit. Cuddle the older dog. Then get the older dog to stay in a sit and cuddle the younger dog.

Deboragh and sarah@forumHQ like this.
  6. Ondrea

Ondrea Registered Users

Oh I definitely let the puppy know our 4yo is #1. She eats first, she goes out first, she gets treats first. We always separate them when the puppy gets to wild. I was just expecting her to do it without my help. I thought it would just be instinct. The puppy is on the floor right now while I'm snuggling the elder;)

7. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

I definitely did not mean that there should be a number 1 dog. I don't think the idea of an alpha pack leader is helpful at all. I think all that business about dogs having to wait until we walk through a doorway because it teaches them who is the boss is ill-conceived. I think your breeder may have led you astray.

I meant that your two dogs ought to take turns in sharing you. Treat them equally. Neither dog is allowed to harass the other dog. Each of them gets a full share of your undivided attention. Let the idea of dominance and alpha leaders go the way of the Dodo!

sarah@forumHQ and Edp like this.