Puppy cocking leg and growling

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by leemyka, Feb 13, 2019.

1. leemyka

leemyka Registered Users

Bruce is now nine mouths old, for last 3 weeks he has started cocking his leg to wee and on a walk will do around 30 wee’s every lamp post,bush and post it’s amazing how high he can get his leg almost doing the splits and I’m sure he’s saving wee for walks How long does this last?.

Also male dogs have started to take a dislike to him growling and almost going for him. Anouther thing when he’s in garden or window of house or car he’s started growling and barking at other dogs. Is this all normal and will he grow out of it?.

Thanks Lee

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @leemyka

He is marking his territory. He will keep on doing it. I had a female Lab and she marked her territory on par with a male dog for her entire life. She thought the entire suburb here needed to be marked. The female I currently have has just one long squat.

Growling at other dogs from your house and car will not go away unless you undertake some desensitisation training. Barking is a self-rewarding activity. I suggest you read about Look at That training. There is a folder on this forum which discusses the technique. In effect the dog will be rewarded for alerting you. The training will be tricky. You will want to reward alertness but not barking and growling. You will need to increase distance to lower his arousal level.

3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

@leemyka It's really important to try to avoid other male dogs until he is out the other side of adolescence (24 months). During adolescence, it's like young male intact dogs become walking targets for other males - perhaps they are just incredibly annoying. (Think about adolescent boys who think they are so cool and tough and how mature men view that kind of behaviour...!!) But if he experiences aggression from males, he may remember this and conclude that intact males are threats to him - and in turn grow up to be an intact male who is reactive to other intact males. On the other hand, if you can protect him a bit during this time and ensure he has positive social experiences with female dogs or male dogs you know he gets along with, then you should come out the other side of adolescence with a good-natured mature boy....

4. leemyka

leemyka Registered Users

Thanks for your answers, he's just growing up so fast he's ok with his friends it's just male dogs that don't know him, we met another black lab on Sunday that just went for him the owner said he's not usually like this both where on leads so no problem but like you said, Joe I think he's a bit cocky.

Lee