Puppy Diarrhea that never goes away!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Annamarie Gebar, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Annamarie Gebar

Annamarie Gebar Registered Users

Hi friends.
    Sophie is 6 months today and is recovering from her second bout of giardia, she had it about 3-4 weeks ago, went through 2 rounds of meds. She has had diarrhea on and off for weeks. I’ve had her to vet and they say it can take a while for their GI system to get better. We tried probiotics but that him gave her explosive non stop diarrhea. I had her on rice/chicken and pumpkin and it got a little better. Transitioned her slowly back to normal food and it’s back a little. She’s also been eating stuff at daycare so I know that might be part of it. But I’m concerned that other puppies seem to eat anything and everything are fine and mine is always having poop issues.

Has anyone else struggled with this? I ordered pumpkin powder for her food which I read sometimes is better then canned pumpkin. I’m at my wits end and feel bad for my little girl.

Stephanie Ann likes this.
  2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Yes, I suffered this with a young spaniel for around 18 months. Tried all sorts of different foods. Even if I found something he was 'ok' with, if he ate anything unusual he would be back to square one. Eventually I was convinced to try him on raw. He never looked back.

Annamarie Gebar likes this.
  3. Stephanie Ann

Stephanie Ann Registered Users

I have an 11 month old Lab/Shepherd mix who’s experiencing the same issues post-Giardia. Has the pumpkin powder helped Sophie?

4. Annamarie Gebar

Annamarie Gebar Registered Users

The pumpkin powder really had no effect. I ended up taking her to a new vet. They told me giardia can really wreak havoc on a puppies digestive system even 30-45 days after she has it. Sophie was also on Purina Puppy Chow Complete from the time I got her from the breeder. The doctor also said she’s seen a lot of puppies develop GI sensitivities to that food after a while. She put Sophie on Royal Canin Puppy GI food and the next day the diarrhea was gone. We are leaving her on it for a few months because Sophie is still horrible at eating things she shouldn’t and any foreign object would make her GI issues worse. Since going on this food, she’s only had an issue 1 time after eating mulch and she rebounded in literally one day. It’s expensive but for 3 months it’s allowing me to sleep through the night and be able to clean up the yard so I’ll pay for it! Lol

5. Stephanie Ann

Stephanie Ann Registered Users

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’ve contemplated changing vets but we’ve been going there for 20+ years and they’ve never steered us wrong. I am going to check with her about the food though and not waste the money on the pumpkin powder just yet. Thanks again - so glad she’s doing better!