Puppy Dry Food Advice

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by KeeperTony44, Oct 22, 2014.

1. KeeperTony44

KeeperTony44 Registered Users

Re: Puppy Dry Food Advice

Thanks for that. I'll make a note of it.

2. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

[quote author=Debs link=topic=8411.msg119081#msg119081 date=1413998554]
    Hi Jan, hope all is good with Albert! Where has the time gone! Can I ask which at the Millies Wolfheart you feed to Albert?
    [/quote]

Hi Debs

Sorry for late reply, we've had visitors and no time for internet! Albert is doing really well on Millies food. I started him on Countryside mix which is 70/30. I have just switched him to Obedience (Well a girl can dream....) another 70/30 mix for no other reason than to give him a change of flavour. He looks really fabulous I have to say. He also has raw meaty bones once or twice a week for a change and a good old chew, and he still has sardines weekly too. Poops have always been firm, right from 10 weeks, even with his previous food, so we've been lucky there.

How are you and the lovely Maisie? Any joy on the early mornings? Albert manages 7-715 now!

Janx

3. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

[quote author=KeeperTony44 link=topic=8411.msg119093#msg119093 date=1414002292]
    Tomal......really appreciate your input. Just an additional query. I've had a brief look at the Wolfheart website just to get a rough idea initially as to its operation and the food produced. Just wondering how we would know which mix to choose when just looking at the names, such as Gundog, etc. Foolishly i was expecting to see a Labrador Mix....would have made it so much easier. :)I am assuming they are all fine for labs otherwise we wouldn't be discussing here on this site. Maybe i need to literally look at each mix and the ingredients and overall details and ignore the Mix names.

Karen....You needn't worry about talking me into anything as i have my own mind and any decisions i make are made because i want to. I am more than happy to look at all options - my wife is leaving me to do all the research as apparently it is something i do well. We will then discuss all my findings and make our decision. Raw food isn't something we have considered, to be honest, but i see no reason to ignore it. :)
    [/quote]

I would either telephone their customer service line for a chat with them about which would be best for your puppy. They are very, very good at answering queries and giving advice, they have a lot of experience. Or alternatively go to their Facebook page and ask your question there, where you will get an answer fairly quickly, but I would think the phone would be best initially. I chose a 70% meat 30% fruit/veg mix for Albert because of the high protein levels and ingredient list and to keep his weight level. It's working great for us at the moment. The 70/30 mixes are slightly more expensive as they are the premium range, but not hugely different to the other mixes. Good luck if you decide to try. It really is excellent food and I wouldn't hesitate to feed any of the range.

Jan

4. KeeperTony44

Thank you Jan. My anxiety condition prevents me making phonecalls as i suffer serious panic attacks when confronting strangers over the phone....i will be looking at written contact via either email, or like you say, their Facebook page. All advice is welcomed and noted.

I noticed in your reply to Debs you mentioned the early mornings. When we got Bud he had been used to 06.00-06.30 early starts. He now wakes fully nearer to 07.00 and manages to wait till 08.00 for breakfast. There are no signs of him being impatient for food so we think we will keep to this routine. It benefits Bud, and me as it is me who is up with him in the mornings.

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

[quote author=teapot57 link=topic=8411.msg119384#msg119384 date=1414141457]
    [quote author=Debs link=topic=8411.msg119081#msg119081 date=1413998554]
    Hi Jan, hope all is good with Albert! Where has the time gone! Can I ask which at the Millies Wolfheart you feed to Albert?
    [/quote]

Hi Debs

Sorry for late reply, we've had visitors and no time for internet! Albert is doing really well on Millies food. I started him on Countryside mix which is 70/30. I have just switched him to Obedience (Well a girl can dream....) another 70/30 mix for no other reason than to give him a change of flavour. He looks really fabulous I have to say. He also has raw meaty bones once or twice a week for a change and a good old chew, and he still has sardines weekly too. Poops have always been firm, right from 10 weeks, even with his previous food, so we've been lucky there.

How are you and the lovely Maisie? Any joy on the early mornings? Albert manages 7-715 now!

Janx
    [/quote]

Hi Jan, (sorry Tony have taken over your thread!! ::))
    Thanks for the information on Millies food. I'm just about to try Skinners, so Millies is next on the list if Skinners doesn't suit her!

Miss Maisie is lovely and growing up very quickly! Definitely turning into a teenager at the moment! Mornings....well, I gave in about a month ago and now she
    sleeps upstairs with us! She was still waking at 5am and would just bark and bark until someone came and got her! I was beginning to suffer some serious lack of sleep, so the decision was made to let her sleep in our room in her own bed. She's starts off in her bed, but still wakes at 5am and then jumps on our bed and sleeps until 7-7.30am! Little madam! Sometimes she tries it on the in the night and gets on the bed, but she gets thrown off very quickly! OH is being VERY patient!

6. KeeperTony44

Not to worry Debs. I think i have enough advice now regarding a change in food so i shouldn't need to monitor this thread any more. Take over as much as you like. :)

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Just to add to the confusion.... I can't resist sticking my twopennorth in here!

Pongo has always been on CSJ 'Little Champ'. I can't tell you how impressed I've been with them. They don't sell through stores, only online (or through breeders - which is how Pongo got on it). It seems to be extremely high quality food (natural ingredients etc) but very, very good value for money (£15 for a 15kg bag). Delivery is prompt and charges reasonable.

They also do a wide range of doggie treats - with free delivery - which are also not expensive but seem to be very high quality - and Pongo goes absolutely nuts for them.

I know I sound like I'm on commission, but I'm not, I promise! I've just been really, really pleased with everything about their service and product. You can find their website at csjk9.com

Rosie
    (and Pongo says to Bud that he needs to try the Fishcuits treats, they're great...)

8. KeeperTony44

Thank you Rosie.....i had CSJ on the list, but not Little Champ. Will be looking into all options next week.

Bud is still out on his travels at the moment but i will pass on Pongo's message about the Fishcuits. He does seem to like the taste of fish as he has a sardine with his meals, so that is promising.

(Additional note)

Just had a quick look on the CSJ site, and checked out the full ingredients of the Little Champ. It does mention wheat and maize quite high on the list......i had read less of the cereal is more healthy. However, Pongo is fine with it so that is a good sign (though i do accept all dogs are individual.) Looked at the Fishcuits....made from wild salmon. Think i might have a pack let alone Bud!!!! He could be fighting me for them. The price is reasonable so certainly some considerations here. Cheers again Rosie.