Puppy eliminating in crate

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sarah jane, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Sarah jane

Sarah jane Registered Users

Hi I have a 10 week old labrado that urinated in a xxl cage so I put a puppy training pad in it, he used it but still sometimes went on his bedding. Today I bought a medium size cage for him with just a towel as bedding and he's urinated again in there.

The cage is left open for him while he's getting used to it. He has a training pad in the living room and one in the kitchen which is uses. He's been with me nearly a week.

In his breeders house they had a laminate floor with a puppy training pad in the corner and a big rug, one of the puppy's urinated on the rug while I was choosing which puppy to take. I'm wondering if the reason he's urinating on his bedding is because he's used to going on fabric. Does that sound right?

I know I shouldn't have put a puppy training pad in his xxl crate now. I took it out after three days but he carried on going in there or just used his bedding.
    Any advice on how to stop him emininting on his bedding?

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, they need the smallest size crate to be comfortable but only big enough for their bed. Then you need to take them out before they get chance to wee. how often are you letting him out at night ? Also, do the same in the day. Take out often, don’t allow any chance to wee in the house and reward like crazy when outside. If you accept him going in the house on puppy pads, the whole thing takes longer as you are giving them permission to go inside. You have to be a helicopter pup owner for a while.

3. Athena

Athena Registered Users

I did the same thing but with a medium size crate, which was too big with the inevitable results. I wrapped an empty 35 lb plastic cat litter bucket in towels and set it sideways at the back of the crate so Maggie @ nine wks only had room to lie down comfortably. Some crates will take a divider so check yours or see what you can use to take up space in the back of crate. Then as Edp suggests, get on a schedule of taking the pup out to potty. Once the pup is clean for say, 2 hours, then try adding 10 minutes more each day.

If there's a reason you absolutely must use puppy pads, perhaps put it by the door so eventually you'll move it outside.

Good luck and don't forget to enjoy your pup :)

Edp likes this.
  4. Sarah jane

Sarah jane Registered Users

Thanks for the replys. I read information wrong last week and thought he was to young to learn to go outside so only just let him out today. I was also scared of him catching a virus as he's only just had his second inoculation Tuesday.

The new crate seems a good size, it's about four or five inches bigger than him when he lays down. He's not been in there to urinate since I've taken his bedding away but doesn't seem to like this crate as much as the xxl one. He was scared to take his treat from it until I put bedding in. I think it's the plastic. Other cage was metal base. He was so nervous when he first entered but have been feeding him in there and putting his treats in. He went in to lie down a while ago but I caught his attention and he came straight out.

I'll start taking him outside every 20 minutes from now on and use a cue when he does his buisness.