Puppy food allergies?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MaggieDV, Nov 17, 2019.

1. MaggieDV

MaggieDV Registered Users

Looking for some ideas and help with our 13 week old black lab pup.

we got her at 9 weeks and have been feeding her the food she was already on which is Purina Pro Plan.

I beginning to wonder if she has some food allergy issues? She bites and itches herself all the time. We are not first time dog owners so I know some is normal but I feel like every time I look at her she is biting at herself of scratching herself. She’s been doing this since she came home with us.

Now in the last week she has developed incredibly loose stools. I wouldn’t say diarrhea, but It tends to be slightly solid at first and then what I would equate to melting ice cream follows. And often has mucous in it. She does this 4-5 times daily. She’s still extremely active, playful, always hungry. She’s about 25 lbs.

She has an appointment Tuesday for her vaccines.

I started her on rice and boiled chicken this morning.

Any tips or advice? Does this sound like a possible food allergy or maybe something else? My husband says the diarrhea is unrelated to the scratching because it started three weeks after she’s been home and she’s been on this food since she started solids. I don’t even know where to begin with looking for a new food! Help!

2. leighxxxx

leighxxxx Registered Users

I have moved Kyko onto grain free, & dairy free & he's thriving now & no more loose poops. He also gets an upset stomach from fish so that's out too. Although he doesn't have itchy skin I do believe he's got intolerances but I'm sure there's a link with food allergies & itchy skin. Maybe worth getting an allergy test done

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Toby was the same as a pup and to a degree now. He came from the breeder on Purina Proplan. He stayed on that for a year. The vet looked at all sorts of possibilities including suggesting we spray the house for dust mites etc. Nothing helped.
    At the end of the day I think he is highly sensitive to certain foods/additives and certain proteins.
    I managed to get his stools right with only minor itching on Hill’s prescriptive D/d which is duck based( at around 18months)
    I am now trying him on raw food. Turkey and Duck seem ok for his stomach but definitely not chicken.
    However the itching is back to the early days so I’m feeling a bit despondent.
    Hopefully you will find a food soon that suits. I may take Toby to a dermatologist but he has been through so much in the last 6 months I want to give him a break from the vets.