Puppy freaking at odd things

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Karen Almas, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Karen Almas

Karen Almas Registered Users

Male Chocolate 7 months, got him at 2 months. Perfectly normal until a few weeks ago. He won't go across the runners in the hallways. We thought he may have skidded so we carpet taped them down. He won't go across the 12" x 12" return air vent, so we put a mat over it. He will go out but not in. He hesitates going down the 2 stairs that lead to a ramp to get outside. Taking him in and out for his business has turned into a nightmare. We have tried treats, getting on the floor and either trying to coax with a treat, going down into play position. This isn't our first rodeo, we've had labs, retriever, sheppards...never seen anything like it. For what it's worth, he's the first Alpha dog. We're getting a pinch collar this week but not sure if that's the answer.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Your dog clearly has fear issues and inflicting pain will not help.
    I think that your starting point would be a vet visit to make sure that he isn't in pain which may be why he is scared to slip. Hip and elbow problems can be very painful.

Joy and Edp like this.
  3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi, I agree there is something going on for him. A thorough check out by a vet followed by a consult with a positive behaviouralist is probably the best way to go. A pinch collar inflicts pain on dog which is never the way to go, but if your dog is already in pain, it really would be dreadful for your dog. I hope you get some answers soon.

Joy and 5labs like this.
  4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper has a few places she doesn't want to go. For a while she would not go out through the gate at our ski cabin's HOA. She just refused one day and it took a lot of time and a lot of tennis ball throwing and treats, but we finally got her to go through with out issues. She seems to be fine with it now. I think if I had tried to force her to go pulling on a leash it would have been a disaster.

She will not go into our vets. She had what she thinks is a bad experience and now the vet comes out to the car to she her. Pulling her in is not an option.

For a long time she did not want to be brushed. She still doesn't love it, but she does allow it with mostly no issues. However I cannot get her to go out on the deck so I can brush her out side. While she loves the decks, she will avoid them if I have a brush or try to brush her outside.

5. vremlh

vremlh Registered Users

I think that your starting point would be a vet visit to make sure that he isn't in pain which may be why he is scared to slip.

6. vremlh

vremlh Registered Users

I think that your starting point would be a vet visit to make sure that he isn't in pain which may be why he is scared to slip.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1