Puppy keeps snarling

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jeandecker76, Aug 17, 2020.

1. jeandecker76

jeandecker76 Registered Users

Hi, everyone!!

I have a 10 weeks puppy and he stays with my 4 older doggos. He gets to play with them too. The thing is, he snarls to me whenever I try to pick him up or cuddle with him. He isn't really that type of dog, unlike my 4 older ones.

Is this normal for a puppy? Thank you so much!

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

No, it's not normal for a 10wk old puppy to snarl when you try to pick him up. I would first take him for a vet check (or ask the vet to look him over at his next vaccine appointment) to be sure he's not in pain when you try to pick him up.

If it's not a pain issue, then you really need to work with a qualified behaviourist who uses force-free methods, to try to change the way he feels about being handled and picked up - before this fear generalises into being touched anywhere on his body...

3. Sukhpreet Aujla

Sukhpreet Aujla Registered Users

Are you putting pressure on his stomach when you lift him? My pup hated being lifted when I was doing that now I avoid her stomach and scoop her up with my hand on her bottom and she is fine being picked up now.

4. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Is your pup with the other 4 dogs all the time? I wonder if he is generally feeling stressed and intimidated by them so when you come along to pick him up he has no control over that either and is reacting in the only way he knows how.
    Make sure he gets lots of time out away from the other dogs at this early stage.
    In another post you mention having a one year old too. You have quite a handful!