Puppy Leads

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Olivia__, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

I have a very basic, cheap petsathome fabric lead for practising at home and taking her to the toilet etc. When she starts proper outside walking what is the best lead safety wise and what collar, lead or harness, lead combination is the best?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

A back-fastening harness is best for protecting her little neck and making sure she cant slip out of it. I used Puppia harnesses for my last two, but have chosen a different, Blueberry, harness for Luna.

If we're walking off lead, she just wears a collar when we're out. You don't need to have a collar on when your puppy is wearing a harness, but you need to keep in mind the rules regarding identification tags where you are, so you might need one on both harness and collar if you will be using one without the other.

I just have a light Red Dingo lead for her for now. It's long enough that she can mooch around a bit when we're not working on walking to heel. I've already bought her "grown up" lead, which is a Halti training lead. This is 2m long, but can be reduced down to 1.2m, worn around the waist or over the shoulder. It's what I use for my two adults, and I'm very happy with it. For now, though, it's too heavy for her.

I really like the Ruffwear Hoopie collars, and all three dogs have these. They're lightweight, easily washed, haven't faded so far, dry quickly and the ring the lead clips to is really substantial.

Olivia__ likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I really like wolters padded training leads the come in different widths. Some are heavy duty for big dogs some are thinner.they are great on the hands because if the padding They extend out to about 6ft and are really long lasting and great quality . I use a ruffwear and perfect fit harness and like them both. Both are good quality and built to cope with a labs life style . Easy to clean machine washable;) is really important thrle only thing that isn't is the ruffwear harness

4. Olivia__

Olivia__ Registered Users

I've looked at all of these products and very tempted. Thankyou for such an informative reply as always.

5. snowbunny

Oh yes, I was very tempted to buy one of these for Luna, but would then have had to get colour-coded ones for the other two dogs, too. So it was cheaper to buy one more black lead than three colour-coordinated ones :D
    http://dapperdog.co.uk/collections/leads/products/padded-training-lead-in-3-widths

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

7. SwampDonkey

8. snowbunny

Oh, I know, but it's the fact that they offer the other colours. I couldn't have bought a black one from them. They have red, blue and purple, all the colours I would need. I wouldn't have been able to resist. Yes, I am that weak. :D

drjs@5 likes this.
  9. SwampDonkey

Me too. I have so much stuff it's ridiculous . The only good thing is they wear out

snowbunny likes this.
  10. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Why hold back!? The pups deserve it :D:D

drjs@5 likes this.
  11. snowbunny

Oh, shush you. I don't need any encouragement! :D

drjs@5 and QuinnM15 like this.
  12. SwampDonkey

I don't think any of us do really :rolleyes:

drjs@5, snowbunny and QuinnM15 like this.