Puppy likes to spill water dish

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Skives19, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Skives19

Skives19 Registered Users

Our 14 week old puppy has recently decided it's ok to drink from her water dish and then pick it up and spill all the water left in it on the floor. Any ideas why she does this and how to fix it?

2. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Bailey did that too - as well as digging in his water bowl. No ideas unfortunately from me as luckily this only lasted a couple of weeks. He now brings in his food bowl when he's finished!

3. 20180815

20180815 Guest

No help here either other than to say my Lab might as well be tipping over his water dish with the amount of water he dribbles all over the floor......... :hmm:

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I changed to a big, heavy bowl that he could not tip. A thrift store big ceramic mixer bowl, food safe. The playing in the water stage lasted about three months but he could only splash it out, not tip it out. ONly filling the bowl about a third full helped too.

5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I'm with @Snowshoe . I invested in a heavy bowl that couldn't be tipped or picked up and not too much water at a time so plenty of refreshing which keeps the cats happy :)

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Brogan left his water bowl alone, but when he was a puppy he'd drag his food dish from the kitchen into the living room, leaving a trail of food behind him. After a week of messes, I just started feeding him in the living room and he was happy - never bothered his bowl again. I guess he just feel the living room had better dining ambiance than the kitchen?! o_O

20180815 and snowbunny like this.
  8. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

Sparky did this as well. Figured I'd get one of those water bottle thingies which worked very well, except he would still leave a puddle of water. Problem was he stopped drinking from a bowl, and this was an issue if we weren't at home. So got rid of the water bottle and used a heavier ceramic bowl. Later on it was replaced with a lighter aluminum bowl which he has never tipped over.... yet.

9. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Get a heavy bowl with a small opening. It worked for Holly.

10. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper used to be a Water Paddler, but she has pretty much quit as she matured. She didn't carry it around though. We have several of the old classic SS dog dishes that are sloped so they are impossible to pick up, but we don't use them for water because they don't hold enough. Two labs go though a lot of water every day.

The other day though I saw Cooper in the back yard, standing in the outside water bowl while she drank from it. It is a huge S.S. dish, that is filled by rainwater most of the winter.

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

W&S aren't big drinkers. I would regularly refresh the water in their bowl, but it very rarely was emptied. Luna drinks like a fish! I have to refill the bowl several times a day. I'm going to get another one for the summer, because I dread to think how much she'll go through when it's hot!

12. Maddison

Maddison Registered Users

Larks doesn't splash her water around while drinking, HOWEVER she lets the water drop everywhere out of her mouth when she picks her head up! I've taken to putting a bath matt under her water dish because she was making the floor warp from it being wet!

edzbird likes this.