Puppy memory after being missing

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by cowgirlmedic, Apr 7, 2021.

1. cowgirlmedic

cowgirlmedic Registered Users

My 4 1/2 Mo puppy was taken from our yard. She was gone for a month. Of course she has grown and has the same muzzle shape & white hairs on her underside. However, she does not respond to her name nor commands she had already learned. She is acting comfortable being back but is more active than she was before. Is it normal for pups that age to not remember their name or basic commands?

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

How awful for you to have had your puppy stolen! But wonderful you've got her back of course.
    I would just start all training from the beginning again as you can't know what experiences she has had while gone. The fact that she is more active is likely just to be that she is that bit older so this would have happened in any case.

cowgirlmedic likes this.
  3. Deboragh

Deboragh Registered Users

So sorry you had to go through this stressful experience, thank goodness you have been reunited with your pup

4. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

How awful for you, but so pleased that you have got her back!
    I would say that no, it is not normal for them to have forgotten their name/basic commands in that time, but I would make allowances that she will be stressed and you may not be aware of what she has been through while she's been away from you. Go back to basics and be patient, she'll come round soon x

Edp likes this.