Puppy nipping, jumping and growling

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Ellie Jones, May 3, 2021.

1. Ellie Jones

Ellie Jones Registered Users

Hey everyone!
    I have a 14 week old land shark who over the last week has started really jumping, growling and nipping all the time. This has started becoming ALL the time in the evening and if she is lying wanting a fuss she’s still trying to nip! If I separate her by putting her behind the gate in the kitchen she just barks and barks until she comes back through which is no good with my daughters sleeping. I can’t have her and my one year old daughter in the same room at all and my five year old is becoming increasingly terrified of her!
    Any advice you can give to help us put an end to this nipping or is it just a case of waiting for her to grow out of it?
    Thanks

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Ellie,

Welcome to the forum!

You're not alone. All puppies go through a phase like this, and it can be very gruelling while it lasts.

Take a look at this article about puppy biting on our main site for coping strategies :)

When you put her behind a gate (which is a good way to manage puppies and children in the same house!) don't go back to her or give her any attention whilst she's barking. Always, always, wait for a break in the noise. She's guaranteed to do more of whatever she's doing when you reappear - so make it 'being quiet'!

I'm afraid if she's used to summoning you by barking at the moment, she's likely to ruin a few of your toddler's nap times before she works out what the new rule is, but try to think of it as short term pain for long term gain. (Sorry, I know it's not going to be easy, and if there was another way, I'd share it!)