Puppy outdoor potty pen. How to convince him to go potty when we aren’t home?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Buddy C, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Buddy C

Buddy C Registered Users

I have taught my 4 month old lab to walk out back and go potty inside an outdoor potty pen. He is really great at this. We open the door he goes in and immediately does his business.

We live in AZ so he goes potty on the rocks vs the grass. He never chews on the rocks in his potty pen (probably because they still smell like pee/poo). However he is constantly chewing on and occasionally eating small pebbles in other areas of the yard when he is playing. Because of this we have to keep a good eye on him when he is in the yard and not in his pen.

The problem I am having is that when we are not at home and I need him to go potty he won’t do it because his potty pen isn’t there. Then he has an accident in the car on the way home.

Unfortunately, when we are not home if I stand in one spot too long waiting for him to go potty he just starts munching on rocks.

Any suggestions on how I can convince him to go potty when he is not home without eating all of the rocks? Thanks!

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Could you take a handful of gravel from his 'potty pen' out with you a could of times until he gets the idea?

3. Buddy C

Buddy C Registered Users

That is a great idea! I will give it a try! Thank you for responding!

4. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Teach your dog to urinate and defecate in response to a cue. Teaching method? Capturing. In doing so, you will not ultimately require the rocks. And you will also know that you're "safe" for a trip in the car