Puppy potty training regression

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Pancakes, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Pancakes

Pancakes Registered Users

nearly 4 month old Lab, we adopted 1 week ago. Mylo was doing pretty well with potty training, we give him lots of praises, treats, and a verbal command “pee” each time he goes outside.

He had a few incidents inside during the past week, which we ignored and quickly cleaned.

However, yesterday he pee’d once & today he both pee’d and poo’d inside...all 3 times were in the exact same spot.

I take him out every hour. At one point today I took him out, he pee’d..I waited a few more minutes and brought him back in..not even 5 minutes later is when he took the poo.

I feed him at strict times. I’ve been cleaning all of the indoor accidents with Kirkland disinfectant wipes..they have ammonia in them and I’m confused if this chemical is attractive to dogs or does it help deter them? I’ve been getting conflicting answers.

Mylo does very well in his crate and i feel as though taking him out once an hour should be enough. So do you think perhaps it’s the cleaning solution that’s attracting him inside to that one particular spot?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post..just had a very frustrating day with him today :(

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I would suggest an ammonia-free cleaner, such as Simple Solution. I think a four month old may still need to wee more than once an hour and for poo you could try keeping a 'poo diary' so you learn when Mylo is likely to want to go (as well as taking him out shortly after meals etc).

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Hi
    Urine contains ammonia so I guess it would follow that he might be attracted by it.
    Also if you have only had him a week he will need time to settle, get used to you and you to interpret his signals.
    Let us know how he develops.

4. leighxxxx

leighxxxx Registered Users

until Kyko was around 16 weeks ( I think) we were having to take him out at least every half hour if not more, we thought it would never end but it didn't take much longer before he stopped the accidents, only pee though. He could hold it better through the day & all night but in the evening as soon as we settled to watch TV he would need out what seemed constantly. Now he lasts no problem in fact due to him not liking the rain at all, he refused to even step foot outside the door one night before bed & lasted comfortably from around 8pm till 6.45 am

5. Pancakes

Pancakes Registered Users

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will start to increase the frequency I take him out and switch to an ammonia free cleaner.

Will keep you updated!