Puppy problems - will things EVER improve???

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Karen, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Gracies_Mom

Gracies_Mom Registered Users

Re: Puppy problems - will things EVER improve???

Thanks for this post! Our 6th month old Gracie has turned into a monster puppy over the last week or so.....glad to see this is probably a phase she will outgrow! She went from only chewing up her toys and bones to chewing two holes threw the drywall and a hole threw my son's bedroom door.... :eek: yikes!! We tried using bitter cherry spray to deter her and she licked it right off....loved the stuff. Crazy dog!

2. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

[​IMG]
    Tats Cooper at 7 months he luks kinda thin to me he weighs around 23 kilos tat is 50 pounds is this normal or does he luk thin to me alone I'm worried Katie Oberon Dexter Pippa and Angela pls check out d photo nd let me knw

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

No, he's not thin, he looks perfect to me! Poppy only weighs 25 kilos at 20 months. He looks great! :)

4. David

David Registered Users

He looks good to me too, and he is doing typical Lab stuff like getting his head into the cupboard! Lady is 4 years old and weighs just 27kg.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Teena Ann,he's looking fine to me....Dexter is only 23 kgs at 14 months.....all the dogs on here weigh different at different ages....so don't get worried if we tell you different weights....go on how you think your Cooper Looks....I can feel Dexters ribs when I stroke him but he has a covering on him and when he turns to the left or right I can see his last couple of ribs and I can feel his backbone when I run my hands down his back.Most Labradors that I see where I live are overweight and people are always telling me Dexter is slim....by which I think they mean thin ;D I don't care,he's perfect and healthy and I'll always do my very best to prevent him going plump
    Best wishes to you and Cooper
    Angela xxx

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

He looks great Teena Ann - not too fat and not too thin. Just right :) :) Well done!

7. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

Hi everybody...
    Cooper has been turning up his nose on his kibble everytime i try to feed him this has been happening for quite a few months and its really bothering me alot he did this wen he was around 4 months old wen i started feeding him pedigree then i switched to science plan food which he liked nd now again he is refusing to eat this wat do i do... i tuk him the vet thinking he might be unwell but he is perfectly fyn y does he do this wat alternative can i try to get him eat his kibble i don want to change to any other food again as it may upset his stomach.. :) :( he is 23kilos hoping tat it is ideal weight at 7 months... pls tell me how to make vegetable broth or soup for him nd pls tell me is it gud to feed him raw bones or cooked ones....

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Teena Ann, don't worry he won't starve himself, and 23 kg at 7 months sounds just perfect. He doesn't need vegetable broth or soup (unless you really want to), and you can give him raw bones (not cooked) to chew on, which is good for his teeth and fun for him too. Never give him cooked bones as they can splinter and hurt him. He's fine, stop worrying!!! :D

9. Jane Dennison

Jane Dennison Registered Users

Our 4 month old Lab is the most active pup I have ever seen. He bites constantly and jumps up on you and grabs whatever part of your body he can get his hands on. We got him at 6 weeks and learned to late that he should of stayed with mom for another 2 weeks. We have so many toys for him and walk him every day. He wants to eat constantly and will jump up on you to get whatever you have. He has improved in that area somewhat. Love him so much but he acts like he is running things around here. Would like some input from anyone who may have the same issues. Thanks

Terri norris likes this.
  10. Pat

Pat Registered Users

Hello I am new here and just read the above topic on Poppy and that really helped. I will post more later when I have more time. I just wanted to say a quick "hello," and say that I have a very cute and sweet yellow lab puppy named Maggie who will soon be two months old.

My main concern is yes I want to raise a good and well balanced dog, but I am also concerned about being too much of a perfectionist about it. The training videos I watch sometimes leans me in that direction of perfection, like I have to fix all the behavior problems or else I will have a monster on my hands.

I wonder how much to expect from a puppy without driving her and me nuts. It was good to read about Poppy to know that some of the"bad" behavior will pass in time.

Example- no matter how I disciple her she keeps wanting to bite and gnaw on hands and forearms. That is just one example for now.

Well that's it for now, any advice is welcomed.

Thanks
    Pat

[​IMG]

11. Pat

Pat Registered Users

Hello again,

I wasn't sure how well the link I added was connecting from here it only did once, so I added a few more her, so you guys could see our new puppy Maggie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Sadly the links didn't work for me.

13. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Pat, and welcome to the forum. Your puppy is gorgeous :)

Here is an article on dealing with biting

14. Pat

Pat Registered Users

Thank you and thanks too for putting the pic in the forum.

This seems like a great place to come to. :)

15. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

what a beautiful chunky lab :)

16. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

She's a sweetheart! Enjoy every minute before she GROWS!
    Clare

17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Can see them now! What a confident looking little pup ;D

18. Pat

Pat Registered Users

Thanks again everyone for the good words. I guess I am not too far off from what I have read here and thanks for the links to the articles very helpful.

:)

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Your puppy is just lovely ;D

20. Erics Mum

Erics Mum Registered Users

Hi, new forum member and first time lab owner here. Had Eric almost 3 weeks and he is 12 weeks old. He certainly is a character and the cutest puppy ever (of course Im biased). However despite spending hours if not days research about lab puppies I feel totally out of my depth. The main issue I have with Eric is the biting. Not gentle nibbles, full on jumping and biting toes, hands, arms even ears. He also hangs off any part of clothing that happens to be the slightest bit loose. I'm glad that the original post mentions this but I'm worried as it seems to be getting worse bit better. I've tried the tips on the biting page and he had lots of chew toys but still prefers human limbs clothes or the sofa. I understand it's going to be long process but is there anything I can do as he hurts!!

Thanks xx