Puppy problems - will things EVER improve???

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Karen, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi i am new on here,i lost my beautiful girl in January and was devastated, she was 12. Home was to quiet and empty and I missed her so much that we decided to get another labrador. Wow, what a bundle of mischief we have got! I had forgotten all the puppy horrors,lol and feel very out of my depth!
    My new girl Isla does everything mentioned in here and more!but reading all your posts does reassure me that things will get better (I hope) i must admit to a little panic

Karen and SwampDonkey like this.
  2. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Welcome to you and Isla. So sorry you lost your 12 year old. Yes having a Lab puppy is totally unlike an elderly Lab. I have an 11 year old and a 17 month old. It was tough last year with the puppy but they grow and change so quickly.

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It does get better:) it just takes a while. To adjust. Sorry you lost your girl.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes we forget, every time!

But things do get better.

Welcome to you @Saffy/isla from Mags, Tatze and Keir from Manchester UK

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab and she's five years old. Tatze means 'paw' in German.

Keir is my sixth Guide Dog puppy, a yellow Golden Retriever/Flatcoat cross and he's twelve months old.

:hi:

5. Saffy/isla

6. Saffy/isla

Hi, thankyou for your encouragement. Maybe you could give me some advice, I was really looking forward to walking Isla,just for 15mins for her age and thought this would help use some of her energy up!But she refuses to walk after couple of mins she sits down and refuses to budge and we end up carrying her, not the plan,any help appreciated.

7. Joy

Joy Registered Users

If you live in the Uk and have a car, I would drive to a safe area and let her scamper about off lead. You can then practise getting her used to lead walking in very short spurts.

If you’re in a situation where you have to walk on lead, I wouldn’t worry about the stops. I’d just stand and wait - she’s taking in everything in the world around her. (The sitting and waiting don’t need to count as part of your timed allowance!)
    Very sorry to hear about the loss of your old Lab. I hope you have lots of happy memories.

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This isn’t unusual at all. Try carrying her out and walking back. Most pups are happy to walk back home :)

9. Mango

Mango Registered Users

Hello!

I have been reading this forum for a while now and just decided to join in. I'm a proud owner of 13 weeks olgd black lab named Mango. He was all in all a great puppy since I got him, besides the biting. My hands still look like the ones of Edward Scissorhands.
    But this last 2-3 days I have noticed 2 changes. First, he now wakes up at 5am sharp, whilst he slept until 7ish before. I take him out at midnight for last potty break, and crate him after.

The other problem is barking. He was quiet before this week, just ocasional bark at neighbour cats. Now he barks when he wakes up in the crate, he barks when things don't go his way, orr when I sit on the couch and watch tv and try to ignore him for a minute.. He would sit next to me, and just bursts into barking.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of behavior and hpw to stop it?

10. Alex Wilson

Alex Wilson Registered Users

You have it exactly the same as us!! Monty seems to be worse when we've been at work because he has so much pent up energy! He's actually been a lot better this weekend (apart from a few naughty moments yesterday!) but we have put a stair gate on the kitchen which is now his time out zone! If he gets bitey/starts to pull on clothes etc then we put him in there, say TIME OUT and leave him for around 2 minutes and just repeat if he carries on. It seems to be working and he's playing with his toys a lot more than our arms and legs!

11. Saffy/isla

Hi thanks for your replies, I don't drive so I am lead walking only at the moment and the park is to far for Isla to walk to for now I'm going to take your advice and just let her take her time and take everything in hopefully soon she will want to venture further. Also in reply to Mango' s owner my Isla does exactly the same with the barking at all the same things as Mango does, she seems to have found her voice!, I will be interested in any advice myself. Thanks guys for all the posts on here,keeping me going lol

12. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

I think that's what we need to do is get a play yard to set up to do this in, our house is open so we really don't have places to set up a gate to keep him in an area although I"m pretty positive if we put him in the kitchen we would need new chairs or cabinets soon lol well not funny

Liz Skinner likes this.
  13. Alex Wilson

Alex Wilson Registered Users

I know you can buy some puppy play pens online, amazon etc so that may be worth a look into! :) They're pretty reasonably priced I think and it will save you furniture from being bitten to pieces! Hope it stops for you. Monty is 4 months on Sunday and he is definitely starting to calm down with it now so don't worry, it does stop! He started at about 10 weeks and it's been a long 6 weeks but he has improved! We were also recommended Olbas Oil or Vicks Vaporub by the Guide Dog people as they don't like the smell. We put a small bit on whatever he has been biting (hands/legs included) and it does deter him! He tends to sniff it and wander off! :)

14. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

The vicks sounds like a good idea, although it may make my husband wander off too lol.
    We bought a super play yard last night, it came with 6 panels so it will be nice to adjust for different needs. The way our home is set up it is difficult to place in our kitchen and I don't really want to put it in a room with carpet so do you think it would be ok to put it on the patio right outside the door???obviously if weather is nice.
    Thanks for the tips

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I really wouldn't recommend this.
    If one whiff puts them off then okay, but when ingested by humans both of these are VERY toxic, and I don't have reason to suspct dogs are any different.
    Better stick with proprietary sprays or increase supervision.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  16. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I wouldn't be too sure about this for all dogs! During a recent visit from a friend who had a cold Cassie, now 2, rummaged in her bag and then settled her self down with a packet of Olbas Oil capsules and was about to enjoy a tasty snack! Luckily she was happy to exchange for something more appropriate :)

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

So glad to hear that!

Toxbase, the National Poisons information service in the UK, say of Olbas Oil....
    https://www.toxbase.org/poisons-index-a-z/o-products/olbas-oil-------------/
    I'm afraid you need a log in to follow the link but included for info

It's not nice stuff, neither is "Karvol" nor Vicks, though the latter is not so bad as it is diluted in an ointment base. Still would be careful.
    I almost put Olbas oil in my baby son's nose instead of Otrivine nasal drops :shake: NOT good.

selina27 likes this.
  18. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

I'm so glad I found this forum and this thread... we have a gorgeous 12 week old pup called Chewie and as a first time dog mum it has been exhausting and much more stressful than I expected.

It's good to know it's all normal and will pass.

Right now I'm just waiting for the rain to stop so he will willingly go outside to do his business again!

19. Maxx's Mum

Maxx's Mum Registered Users

Welcome from Maxx and I in Sydney, Australia. It's raining cats and dogs here too, after having barely any all year. Mmmm that damp labrador experience :confused:

Just love the name Chewie!

20. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

We are in Sydney too. Luckily, being small, he isn't so smelly. We have been saving his liver treats for outside potty rewards so hopefully he finds that motivational!

Chewie is short for Chewbacca (blame my husband), and is quite appropriate for a young lab.