Puppy problems - will things EVER improve???

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Karen, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Puppy problems - will things EVER improve???

Welcome to the forum :). It certainly does help knowing your not alone :). Everyone on here has been amazing for me especially as I'm a first time dog owner. Photo of a lucy please ;)

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Awww, welcome Sal, sounds like you have a great pup there!

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Welcome Sal!
    Sounds like a wonderfully normal inquisitive puppy you have! ;D

4. LoveKatie

LoveKatie Registered Users

Welcome Sal! Your puppy sounds just like ours! Katie is eight months old and still loves dead things, eating poo, and digging up the garden. She regularly chases our cat, but I think it's kind of game between them because the cat instigates it 50% of the time. We adore Katie, even though our ancient gardener is not a fan :(

5. sussex

sussex Registered Users

i have a brilliant lead double ended known as police training lead you can use it in all different ways i use mine with a headcollar and put one clip on that and one on the normal collar you should find in pets at home

6. EmmaRebecca

EmmaRebecca Registered Users

Hello

I am new to the site and am very excited to talk to people who are like minded Labby people.

I have had 4 Labs and now Harry 10 weeks old is my 5th.

Fagan was my first puppy 20 years ago, he lived till he was 19 years old. the other 3 were mature rescues, so really what I am saying is I had forgotten what a Labby pup was like!

My arms are shredded - we are home all day so he is very busy, we also have 4 other dogs so he isn't ripping up the house, just my arms and hands

I find tucking my head into my arms like in an emergency position on a plane works as he gets board in about 5 seconds and walks off, the problem is I cant always do that - I do try distraction too and positive reinforcement - I am really looking forward to the new teeth!

7. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

Hi Karen,

this article gives me a lot of hope for the future; that I will cope with a pup when it finally comes and be realistic about life with my new pal without getting despondant. Thx. I am sure I shall have to re-read it when I am going through it though..it will be a light at the end of the tunnel I expect ;)

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

:) Glad you are finding the advice on here helpful, John.

9. hollie

hollie Registered Users

It so reassuring to read things on here an realise it's not just your Pup being a cheeky dog! Rocky is constantly biting at the minute. It is - as far as I can tell - just playful and when he is excited e.g. when we get home from work he's all over us both and nibling at us! It doesn't hurt (yet!) but i don't want him to grow thinking it's acceptable. Sometimes though he will pounce/jump at your face and make a chomp noise when he's missed so i'm glad he doesn't actually make contact! It's more of a 'chew' when he does it to our hands and we tried just ignoring it and then tried just firmly saying no and pushing him back but he still does it and sometimes bares his teeth :-\ I'm hoping he just grows out of it as I can't imagine how adult teeth would feel compared to his baby teeth!

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=hollie link=topic=1722.msg80066#msg80066 date=1400689152]
    I can't imagine how adult teeth would feel compared to his baby teeth!
    [/quote]

Surprisingly much better! Provided they learn bite inhibition, through the process you are going through now. Those puppy teeth are like needles! It all passes very quickly. :)

11. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

Lola's second set started coming through about 3 weeks back starting with her 2 front teeth which was quite amusing but now most have come through she'll happily hold my finger without hurting. She plays with my son by pulling his hands to knock him over so she can smother him with kisses so I've had to teach her to be gentle mouthed. Something that seemed impossible with baby teeth! Also her claws! Thank god they have got thicker so they aren't sharp :eek:

12. hollie

hollie Registered Users

[quote author=LovelyLittleLola link=topic=1722.msg80507#msg80507 date=1400791720]
    Also her claws! Thank god they have got thicker so they aren't sharp :eek:
    [/quote]

I can't wait for this! I had to give Rocky a bath yesterday as it had been chucking it down when we went for a walk and we go through a field that's all long grass and muddy (Nice!) he wasn't best please about this and i've been left with huge scratches on my arms and chest from his trying to escape!
    They just so so sharp at the minute

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

My Cooper is 11 weeks old and I've had a terrible time with his biting. Saying NO and turning your back did not work, neither did leaving the room and come back 10 minutes later....he still went on biting. Putting chew toys in his mouth???he would spit them out and bite me....Bit my hands (drew blood several times), my ankles, my clothing, ripped a pair of jeans while on me, and it HURTS. Had a trainer come to see what could be done and this is what she suggested: ALWAYS have him on a leash....indoors and outdoors. That way you can control him.....you have to hold the leash as much as possible while indoors and give him little room. Keep saying "no biting me" as you hold him at arms length. Then offer him a chew toy two times and only two times and, if he doesn't stop lunging at you, your clothing, etc, you put him in his crate with a treat so it is not punishment and leave him there until he calms down. It IS working for me.....not all the time.....but certainly most of the day. His worst time is first thing when he wakes up and in the evening....he is like a crazy pup.....nothing stops him. Hope this helps you. It is very painful....and sometimes you feel you are going to lose it!!! Good luck.

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hang in there, Yvonne, it's a trying time, but it will get better :)

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I agree Yvonne....seems never ending at the time but will DEFINITELY stop....just persevere.

16. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

It's true Yvonne. Just a few weeks ago I was covered in bites and scratches. Looked like I was under attack daily, which I was. But Edsel hits 14 weeks tomorrow and I've noticed a huge decrease in biting in the last week. Still gets it going when over excited or tired, but I can actually count my wounds on one hand now!

Lori

17. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Lori, that's wonderful!!! Gives me hope! Today he is 12 weeks old so, if I'm as lucky as you, in two more weeks I will be able to show my hands and legs!
    Thank you....

18. A.Causer

A.Causer Registered Users

Starting to see huge improvements!!

My first ever puppy is 14 weeks old now and we've had her nearly 6 weeks. The biting is still pretty bad (we're trying really hard though) and her digging/stone chewing in the garden is annoying - we have two broken deciduous canines to prove it. BUT recall to the whistle brilliant, have been letting her off the lead for just over a week having practiced with the whistle in the garden first. Haven't had an accident in about 3 weeks. Sleeps really well in her crate and whines much less if she's in there and awake. She loves meeting dogs and people. Great at sit and paw. Sleeps through from 11pm til 6.30am (very glad to have gradually delayed the 2.30am toilet trip). We've recorded her a few times when we've been out and she doesn't cry and we come home to her curled up in bed in her crate. So this was just to reassure people that we've has plenty of moments of regretting getting our pup but those are decreasing and she's turning into a great little dog. Keep trying, lots of consistency and patience is working :).

Ps. I know people are curious about weights of pups. She was roughly 7kg when we picked her up at 8.5 weeks. Now 11.4kg at 14 weeks. She's a working type so a bit lanky and less thickly set than some labs.

19. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome :)
    It sounds like you are doing really well with your pup ;) it really does help when you get some sleep too :)
    What is your pups name?
    Harley is my first ever pup and she is 10 months old now....time seems to go really quickly!

20. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done A.Causer on making it through the bitey crocodile stage. Always good to hear the success stories that reassure others that they'll make it through too :)