Puppy recall training

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by MWishart, Apr 18, 2021.

1. MWishart

MWishart Registered Users

I've been doing all of the recall training with my 4 month lab pup. He's doing brilliantly and I'm following the Total Recall book exercises but I'm wondering if there is any stage when my husband can be involved? Ive read the book cover to cover and apart from being my assistant, there is no mention of him being solely in charge of the recall whistle. Is this something that can be worked on later on? What happens if he is taking the dog out and I can't be there when he's older?

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Here is a suggestion. Go to a field. You and your husband stand apart. You take turns calling your dog. And therefore take turns in being the assistant. When that is working, don't alternate taking turns. But get the dog to respond to the whistle. Mix up who is the whistle blower for the session. Don't wear your dog out. Keep the sessions short. Upbeat. Fun. Engaging.

Before you try such a program, without the dog being present, practise your whistle blowing so that the signal is identical. Use identical whistles. It's not necessary for you to be lyrebirds. It's just that I'm trying to minimise the differences between you two. Otherwise your husband will have to go through a longer training program doing for himself and the dog what you have done.

Let us know what happens.

MWishart likes this.
  3. MWishart

MWishart Registered Users

Thank you! I'll give this a go and let you know how we get on.
    Much appreciated

4. amelbeach

amelbeach Registered Users

You will repeat this several times. Then wait until Ranger is looking away, then say "come" and see if he starts to come to you on his own. Keep building it up, baby steps! If you aren't getting their focus, don't forget to use your attention-getting command as well.

snaptube vidmate