Puppy School nightmare

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Caro A, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

I enrolled in a puppy class, we are now on week 6 out of 8. Bonnie has always done the training that has been requested of her, sit, wait, lie down, recall etc she's been good at all of that. But her behaviour is awful! She's 5 3/4 months old now. When the rest of the class are waiting for their turn they seem to wait politely, a bit of movement, but nicely.. Bonnie however, barks constantly if I don't do something with her. The teacher said if they bark to get up and walk about a bit to keep their interest going. But Last week Bonnie had a complete meltdown, jumping and biting me with excitement, the trainer helped me to hold her down with very strong no's, but she'd got herself into a real overexcited zoomie on the lead, my hand was really bruised. I thought we were through the biting stage, well we are indoors. Last weekend she did the same to me in the forest when I tried to get her back on the lead. But the last 3 days she has been as good as gold on the lead. Until,... last night back to puppy school and she did the same overexcited biting, barking, nightmare!!! so embarrassing, she just loses it! The trainer assures me that she is a lovely intelligent girl, but is just so overexcited to be there. Teacher says that it goes with the breed, there are no other labs in my puppy class to compare her to, she just looks mad! When I got in the car to go home, I looked in the rear view mirror and there was blood on my face!, I knew she'd got me on my forehead, but didn't know I was actually bleeding! how embarrassing. it looks like I have absolutely no control whatsoever, I felt like crying. It's all over excitement, she lurches on the lead when we see people on walks, but if i stay away from people she walks really nicely for me, no pulling. How do I stop her doing this? I'm really firm with her, she behaves much better at home now, no biting anymore, safe to walk in bare feet even, When will these crazy episodes stop? She's almost 6 months. I knew labs were bouncy, but wow! Please help! Could it be teeth? could it be adolescence creeping in?

2. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

This reminds me of how Ripple was at school - I used to take him right out of the class to get him to calm down, even sitting him back in his crate in the car on occasions.
    I can tell you she is much better at home than Ripple was at that age, and even now at nearly 3 he can still get over excited You are obviously doing lots of the right things, and I'm sure lots of others on the forum will give you some really good advice :).

3. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

I am afraid this is true, I did not find out myself until I got my pup. Labs are notoriously bitey and these episodes are common - there is lots on this site about others in the same situation which is a comfort to know you are not alone and you don't have a crazy dog!

It really can make you feel like giving up but it will pass - yes it will! It should get better before adolescence kicks in (so that is another matter to deal with), I think Maisy stopped this behaviour around 6-7 months so hang in there, things will improve. Once their adult teeth are grown and the nasty sharp puppy teeth are out the bites are not as lethal, but you are right, it is sooo embarrassing. Just rise above it and ignore the tuts from passersby who think you have an uncontrollable beast as I did.
    There is an occasional episode now but never as bad as it used to be thank goodness.

One suggested way, although really difficult to carry out sometimes, is to turn your back and ignore the behaviour. Do not interact with them when they are like this as it adds to the fun and they will not calm down then. Not always possible of course when they are ripping your clothes apart and chewing your legs!!

4. SimoneB

SimoneB Registered Users

Watching with interest. We have just started puppy training and mine was the most excitable in the class from the point of view of wanting to go and play with the other pups instead of doing what he was supposed to. No barking though, and not biting. It sounds to me as though this is too high a stimulation environment for your dog. You seem to have have all the basics in place and you might be better off training her on a one-to-one basis, with professional support, if necessary. That is what I will probably do if I feel that mine is too much of a distraction to everyone else.

MF likes this.
  5. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

My puppy was pretty awful at puppy training - not as you say doing the tasks but going in and out the building was a nightmare. We had an horrendous start - like you the only Lab in the class and everyone else’s dog doing the right thing except mine!! I felt like giving up but persisted and she eventually did what was expected of her. We had to take a frozen kong and a mat so between tasks, they learnt to go on their mat and settle - this was great and easily transferred to home. I never did crack the going in and out of the class but now at 14 months I’m not bothered as it’s not important anymore.

I lost count of the number of injuries and broken finger nails I got from trying to manage my puppy in training classes.

Things will get better :).

6. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

Thank you, you've given me some hope!

Shaz82 likes this.
  7. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

oh thank you, sounds like im not the only one, I felt like it last night though. The kong is a good idea, she loves them at home. I will email our trainer to see if she'd allow that. I want to persevere, but it's like torture! physically and mentally, thank you

8. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Well you are very definitely not the only one, many of us have been there feeling the way you do. I used to wonder what on earth I was doing sometimes but looking back I’m glad I did the 6 week puppy class and the 6 week follow on class as I learnt a lot. I think once they are a bit older, if things aren’t working out at training and neither you or your dog are enjoying it but things are going well at home, then it’s best to not go.

9. RMBIII

RMBIII Registered Users

I have to say that reading your post made me feel so much better about my experience with puppy training! My little girl was the most rambunctious in class by a long shot and even annoyed the instructor. I thought "oh man, I have a crazy beast for a dog", but your post reminded me that, no, I have a lab and labs are known for their energy. My girl was the only lab in class and it was apparent that labs are different. Your experience is not unique by any means. Labs are such great dogs when they are older I think it is Gods way of making things even by giving us crazy lab puppies that turn into golden lab adults. ;)

Plum's mum likes this.
  10. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

Arh thank you, I feel like printing everyone's replies to show at puppy class ha ha to prove she's not crazy, she's a lovely dog, really she is. as I write she's lying next to me, after a perfectly behaved walk, having a snooze in a sunny corner, bless. I don't want to wish her puppyhood away, but sometimes I think I've done something wrong, not been hard enough on her or something. Listening to everyone's replies I realise lab pups are testing, tricky at times, but will be worth it in the long run. The whole reason we chose a lab was for their temperament around children, but a lot of the time Ive had to keep mine apart so far, I can't let her off the lead in the forest with my 7yr old, she'll knock him flying if she has a zoomie! These dogs are not guide dogs for nothing, they are very trainable eh? That's the point, I just wish this crazy teeth bit was over. Thank you all very much, there is hope! x

Shaz82 likes this.
  11. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Exactly what I used to think to myself to keep me from insanity whilst I washed the blood from my poor limbs :)
    And every time I saw a lab walking nicely next to it's owner it gave me hope!

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Absolutely.

They make amazing, calm, intelligent and sensible Guide Dogs.

But ...

Guide Dog puppies are crazy too! I am training number six. He’s currently chasing his tail and I’ve been chasing my tail trying to keep him calm today. He’s been barking, trying to jump up - you name it. He only had his Big Boy operation on Tuesday and the cabin fever is rising.

Mollie, my last pup - who is in advanced training now - was the craziest, bitiest crocapup I have ever met - and I’ve met hundreds. She’s had nothing but good reports from Big School.

Guide Dog puppy classes are craaaayzeeeeee places. The dogs start work at 18 months to two years old. They have ‘work mode’ while in harness and have their owner’s lives in their paws. Once the harness is off and they are at home or free running all bets are off, they are normal labs!

:)

Moosenme, selina27 and SwampDonkey like this.
  13. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

Thank you so much, this is heartning to know, at nearly 6 months our pup is doing ok then

BevE likes this.
  14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes!

:)

15. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

If this is how your trainer treats a dog that is over threshold you really need another trainer. If your dog is going over threshold remove them from the room and give them a chance to calm down and then return. Many dogs become frustrated at training classes because they are not allowed to meet/play with the other dogs when they want or just find the repetition of sit/down/stay/wait etc boring. Another reason for over excitement is the proximity of other dogs in a class or the numbers of dogs in the class. If your pup is finding it stressful, erect a barrier around them so they don't see the other dogs. You can use a play pen covered with towels/blankets - it really does work.

Karen, snowbunny, CMartin and 2 others like this.
  16. RMBIII

RMBIII Registered Users

I ended up changing trainers because mine didn't seem to understand or tolerate my lab well. She told me I needed to change her food and not feed her puppy food because it was making her hyper. Forget the fact that the food I give her was the vets personal recommendation. Labs are a different breed, and if she is one of the younger dogs in a group it will also be apparent. Diligence and patience are the mantras of a lab puppy parent.

17. MF

MF Registered Users

I only have my one Lab as experience. But from this experience I’d never put an excitable puppy through boring puppy class again. I’d definitely get a 1 on 1 trainer to help ME make sure I’m giving the right cues, etc. But I don’t see the point in being miserable at class and stressing out a puppy by forcing them to relax (holding down the leash and saying No - not fair on an over threshold pup in my opinion).

We started at such a class and made no real progress. Sure, my boy could do all the basics. But it was extremely stressful. Once we changed to a calm positive only school, everything changed.

Anyway I don’t see the point of regimental training at such a young age. There are so many less stressful ways to ensure you raise a lovely dog.

18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I had lovely experiences at puppy training with all my dogs. The trainer I used was very good and had a very clear idea about what she wanted to achieve for the pups. If she thought a pup didn't fit into the group she would move it to a class were it would. They were relaxed classes and not stress inducing or pressurised. Good classes are out there which are fun for the pups. Everyone expects pups to act like pups, don't expect to much and don't he too hard in yourself it can be fun.

19. labbypad

labbypad Registered Users

I am so happy to read about your experiences of puppies at training because its is just the same for us. Mine is 5 months and we have been going to classes for the last month. His behaviour is very disrupting for all the others, specially his loud high pitched barks. I try so hard to keep him quiet and calm that I can't listen to or watch anyone else. I thought it was getting better but at the last lesson he was as bad as when we started, even barking as we were doing the exercises. He barks, jumps, tries get out of his harness and snaps at the treats so eagerly that my fingers start bleeding. The other labrador puppies in the class seem very chilled and calm in comparison. I bring a kong (which he finishes almost before the class starts) and keep refilling it. I also give him treats to focus on me and the exercises. He knows a lot of the things we practice in class but he doesn't concentrate much, he just barks and acts like a dog who has never seen food before. At the end of the lesson we are both shattered and his stomach, a barrel full of treats!
    I think it is a combination of overexcitement and frustration. It must also be quite tiring for him and towards the end of the hour he just gives up, stops listening completely and barks instead. Up until the last lesson I felt we were making a bit of progress (although he was still the noisiest) and I thought I was managing him a bit better, now I feel we are back to were we started and it is very disheartening.

20. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

Sounds just like us. I know some people don't like classes, but I actually like the trainer, I think she is great with the dogs, it's not regimented or too much for the other dogs, it's only my Bonnie that turns into a crazed beast. But possibly it's just too much for her at the moment, I've got 2 weeks left to go, then I need to decide whether to do the beginners training class, I bet everyone else in the class is hoping I'll give up ha ha!