Puppy separation anxiety

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Pancakes, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Pancakes

Pancakes Registered Users

Hello all!

our beautiful boy Mylo is 7 months old and an absolute delight!!
    Since we adopted him at age 3 months, he has been crate trained to sleep. However, we would put him in his crate when we’d leave for the gym and the howling/barking that would come from Mylo was bonkers!

so, we decided to let him roam in the living room when we’d leave at around 5.5 months and he’s had no accidents or messed around with anything.

the barking/howling was less as compared to when he was crated, but I really wish he would stop. We give him a treat (bully stick, complicated puzzle etc) every time we leave and a treat when we get back..but it’s been nearly 2 months and no further progress.

I should add, any time either just my husband or I leave the home..Mylo will stand by the door and whine, despite one of us still being with him

any suggestions on how to stop this are welcome

2. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi, we have had problems with separation anxiety with our girl and i would strongly recommend you have one to one training with a good behaviourist if you can

Our trainer came to our home and observed Isla and questioned us on all sorts of things that we didn't even realise were making things worse for her. We discussed several ideas and drew up a plan to help with her anxieties.

Following it was hard but we did to help Isla and it's a work in progress. It's really complicated when you look into separation issues and I'm pleased we got help. Good luck