Puppy snatching food

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by harrilou, Jul 2, 2014.

1. harrilou

harrilou Registered Users

Hi we have an 9 week old black lab puppy which we have had for just over a week. She is doing really well, already mastered toileting outside in the garden, and has learnt to sit already. We are really struggling tho to teach her to wait for her food. When I pour her food into her bowl she jumps around my legs jumps up trying to get to the food. I take her to her feeding place and ask her to sit, which she does, but she wont wait until ive put the food down before she literally dives in, tipping over the bowl. I don't know how to teach her to wait, any advice please as we want to start as we mean to go on xx

2. Christoph W

Christoph W Registered Users

Re: Puppy snatching food

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

You might try to let her sit while you slowly lower her bowl. Watch her closely and when she starts to stand up you raise the bowl again and tell her to sit. I bet she'll get the message quite quick that the bowl will only touch the floor when she stays in sit position.

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Christopher's suggestion sounds good to me. :)

4. gad

gad Guest

I used this method but wasn't too rigid at just 9 weeks; she's still very young! Don't rush it would be my advice, go very slowly and you'll get there. Our pup is 14 weeks now and will sit and wait, sometimes 2 seconds sometimes more depending how how hungry he is. A bit of judgement from you will help her to succeed. Our pup knows what's expected, just gets too excited sometimes!

5. harrilou

harrilou Registered Users

Thanks, tried the method tonight, took a few goes & she wasnt as bad but I think with practice she will get it xx

6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Patience and perseverance thats what a pup teaches us. ;D

Glad you had some progress. :)

7. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Yes what Christoph said, this is what we did and now Nevis will sit till we tell him he can have it :)

8. kevg487

kevg487 Registered Users

I would agree with above posts. I would also suggest that you make the pup aware that you own the bowl, the food and the space where you prepare the food. I make sure our pup is a few feet away from where I prepare the food.

Good luck. Patience is key