Puppy to Adult Food

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by 4parajon, Mar 4, 2015.

1. 4parajon

4parajon Registered Users

I have a 12mth leggy (see small giraffe!!) ESS who is on Kronch Optimal puppy food & is fed twice a day. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are to change him over to the adult food (I will be sticking with Kronch, as he loves it & it's very healthy for him) & also when to put him onto one feed a day? :)
    Thanks in advance

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: Puppy to Adult Food

You could send them a message to ask when you should change over to adult food, but I think it's generally between 9 and 12 months for most brands.

Personally, I wouldn't ever just feed once a day. I'd rather my dogs have two medium-sized meals a day rather than one big one, but I know some people do feed just one meal. Do you have a reason for wanting to reduce to one a day? I think it's nice to break up the day a bit with two meals; in fact, I still feed my nearly 7-month-olds three meals for this reason, as well as avoiding that heavy feeling. I'm anthropomorphising here, but I don't like the feeling of having a huge meal; it makes me feel sluggish, so I wouldn't put that on my dogs, either, even though I'm pretty sure that Labradors thrive on feeling completely stuffed :D

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've had a quick look at the website and they don't seem to mention an age to change over to adult so I would recommend that you contact them and ask their recommendation, most puppy foods seem to be to either 12 months or 15 months. Juno who is 8 months old is on a "junior" food for neutered dogs at the vets recommendation following her spay and is fine upto 15 months. The feed guide is for 2 meals a day and I know her previous food (Husse) also took the 2 meals a day approach as day's portion of kibble would be huge bowl for them to eat in one go.

4. 4parajon

4parajon Registered Users

Thanks for the replies.
    I did send Kronch an email asking the same thing yesterday, very nice company to talk to. They suggested anytime from 12mths & as he's a very active dog to try him gradually on there 'active' food & see how he goes on.
    I've actually got a bag & a half of the puppy stuff left so I'll get a bag of the active next month & try him on it.
    As for the 1 or 2 feeds a day, what you've said makes perfect sense really if you think about it. I would'nt want to eat 1 huge meal a day either but I always thought that's what you did with an adult dog so I'll keep him on the 2 meals a day, thanks again 8)

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I'm pleased the advice was of help. It's usually best to introduce new food over a period of a week. When I changed Juno over to the Junior Neutered the vet had suggested 25% new food and 75% of regular for 2 days, then 50/50 for 2 days the 75% new to 25% regular for 2 days and then the new food only for day 7. It worked very well with Juno and she didn't notice the change to her food at all.