Puppy torments older dog - help!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Karen, May 30, 2012.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Puppy torments older dog - help!

Thank you for the tip! I have a better one - hand the lead to the other half and explain that you have to go to the office... ;) After all, she's his dog too!

2. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

sadly Karen tomato puree easier to buy than an "other half" cue jokes about "finest" and "chosen by you" ...

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

*sigh* You're so right...

I have a sinking feeling it wont be the last lavish application of fox faeces that we will face, so perhaps I'd better get a stock of tomato puree in now!!!

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Karen, make sure you rinse it a little , I was given this tip a few years ago , my yellow girl was the devils own for fox poo . I applied lots of tom puree after a bath and left her to dry in the sunshine , what a pretty pale pink girl I had :)

5. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Rusty usually licks it off barney before i even think about rinsing! Funny I've never known Rusty to roll (frantically thumping wood as I type!)

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Twelve weeks of age did sound a bit early for me too for rolling... Luckily she also loves water (not like some of the labs in Pippa's article that are slow to take to water), so it was easy to get her into the paddling pool for a good rinse off. But I'll remember BOTH hints, both about applying the tomato puree AND about remembering to wash it off again! 8)

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Incidentally, the whole 'puppy tormenting older dog' thing seems to have died down quite a bit. They actually seem very fond of each other now, and on the odd occassion when she does get too much for Bones I either take her away from him (sometimes let her have a bit of quiet time in her crate) or if we are out on a walk I call her to me with the whistle, give her a small treat, and then distract her with a game. Fingers crossed - it really seems to be working and she is much kinder to him. She still bites his face, but in a much more 'nuzzling' sort of fashion than before... and as a consequence he seems happier and also more willing to play with her. YAY!!!

8. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Fantastic, well done Karen :D

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Two steps forward, one step back - she's back to rushing at him, biting his face and neck, and knocking him off his feet. Not so much in the house any more, more when we go for the evening stroll (evenings are her wild times). Poor old Bones, he does want to play with her, but he's not that steady on his feet and she does weigh 10 kilos now... and with his arthritis I just feel it's not best for him to be knocked about so much. On the other hand, I understand Poppy really just wants someone to have a boisterous game with...

We have a couple of young dogs who live close to us and who would happily play with her. However, they are all a lot bigger (a labrador, a retriever and some sort of hairy sheepdog), and really all quite boisterous, so I am unwilling to let her play roughly with them yet - possibly in a month or so. In the meantime, I just try to play with the pup myself, while protecting the older dog from too much rough-housing.

Any other ideas???