Puppy waking

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by mom2labs, Mar 26, 2020.

1. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

Our new puppy Bentley is almost 10 weeks and have had almost 2 weeks with him. We were told from the breeder what the puppies schedule was which was bedtime 9:30, woke about 2:30 for a potty then woke for the day between 5 and 5:3. He stuck to that pretty well the first night the second night was horrible which we let him cry in his crate then the next 5 days he was going down about 9:45 and waking at 5:30. Which let me tell you was great. Then all of a sudden he started waking around 4 or 4:30. At first I let him fuss for about 10 min but I laid there wondering if he really needed to go so I got up, he did go, I put him back in his crate and he was quiet until about 5:30. He has been doing this since then, do I stop getting taking him out at that waking time? I mean he obviously was able to go until 5:30 for a whole week, we have changed nothing so should I just let him fuss at that time?

2. Tammy Cooke

Tammy Cooke Registered Users

Hi there
    Trial and error. If they really need to go to the toilet they will cry none stop. If they don’t need it, they will stop. Sometimes if you go too soon to see them when they cry they will see this as a sign of how to get your attention. Luna is 2 now and she cries at 6am most mornings but she needs the toilet. Hope this helps.

3. J.D

J.D Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Maybe go back to setting an alarm for around 3 and take him out. You will then know at 4-5 that he doesn’t need to go. If you are in the Uk he may be being woken by the birds at that time. x