Puppy with straight back legs?

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Kris, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Kris

Kris Registered Users

Took my 7 week 7 day old lab into see vet. She said her legs didn't seem to have the normal "curve", seemed almost straight. Obviously the long term concern I would guess is dsyplasia ... I have never hear dog back legs being too straight and didn't really know what to ask- anyone ever had this? Concerns? Please share ..

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Have a look at this document (the Australian Breed Standard Extension for Labradors). On page 9 it gives a diagram of back legs with a normal angle and ones that are a bit straight: http://ankc.org.au/media/pdf/6355762...1221c9a9e6.pdf

If your dog has back legs that are a bit straight then this doesn't mean that she will have any joint problems or any issues with dysplasia. It just means that the angles in her back legs are straighter than is desirable. Having back legs that have good angles (i.e. are not too straight) is a good thing as it allows the legs to act as better shock absorbers, like a spring.

If you watch your pup walk you may notice that her tummy kind of bobs left and right, side to side as she goes along (this is a consequence of walking with legs that are a little straight). She may also look a bit like she is standing on tippy toes on her back legs - that is, the larger part of her foot pad is not fully in contact with the ground, and the nails on her middle two toes may wear a little bit more (be shorter) than the outside two toes. Or you may not notice this till she is older.

None of this is necessarily a problem. If you had been a person wishing to use your pup to breed from eventually, then this news would mean that you should not be breeding from this pup. But if she is just a pet then there is nothing you need to do and nothing to worry about - I would just do the usual thing of not over-doing the exercise, don't let her run up and down stairs and avoid jumping anything much till she is a year (this is good practice for anyone, regardless of leg comformation).

When I see photos that people put up on the forum of their dogs, I notice some that have back legs (or front legs/shoulders) that are too straight, and yet these dogs have no reported physical problems.

At your next vet visit ask the vet to explain to you what they mean, with a diagram. When your dog is older you can also ask the vet to check how good your pup's hips joints are, if you like - but this is a totally separate matter to having straightish back legs.

Don't worry too much at this stage :)

3. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I spent so long looking at Ella's legs last night! Still no idea how hers compare to those in the diagrams haha! ☺

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I keep looking at Juno's legs as she walks and trots along and I'm becoming neurotic now that either her legs are to straight, or that she's
    cow-hocked. Not reading or looking at any more info on conformation etc.

5. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Haha, I agree Rosemary! I ended up thinking that Ella's legs were completely deformed ☺ so decided it was time to stop!

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

And we'll blame Rachael for making us neurotic

7. Oberon

Oh dear, sorry

Think about the fact that all mammals share the same array of bones that they have to somehow fashion a set of back legs out of. Each species does it a bit differently - humans, horses, bears, koalas...all hugely different in conformation but all getting along just fine :) Similarly there is a wide range across individuals within the same type of animals (and definitely across dog breeds) and yet mostly all those individuals walk, run and jump just fine! Well except for the breeds that have very exaggerated leg arrangements (like German Shepherds whose back legs are so far behind them that they can hardly even hold the dog's butt off the ground or Bassett Hounds who have shrunken little legs....). Even the straightest-legged Labrador is going to be a far superior athlete to those kinds of dogs. So basically don't worry about it :)

8. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Nah, sorry Rachael, too late, we've already passed the point of return . Now I'm off to take my long legged/straight legged/wonky bodied dog for a walk

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  9. Oberon

If it's any comfort my dog is a bit straight in the shoulder region and the one before that was straight in the back end....

And let's not even get started on critiquing the humans....

10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

don't you mean the joint of no return ? so sorry couldn't help myself.
    My dogs slightly cow hocked and has long back. went to see a good physio he suggest some exercises to strengthen these areas. Just have to be careful but i've done that with all my pups.

11. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Haha I like it ☺. I actually missed the "no" in my post but my phone was being temperamental and wouldn't let me edit. It's been bugging me ever since!

12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I'm always missing stuff then going dooooooooooooooooooewww after I've posted. I could put it odwn to being a woamn of a certain age or hormones or tiredness but I thinkits cos i'm dizzy person.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

When we went for Poppy to be judged on conformation to the breed standard (not a show, this was for breeding purposes), the judge told me that her main concern was that the dogs not only conformed to the breed standard, but that they were fit for purpose. Dogs with cow hocks or too-straight legs may never have any health problems as such, but they might have issues if asked to work all day on a shoot, for instance, and since this can be inherited they therefore shouldn't be used for breeding.

The judge's summing up for Poppy was: 'Small bitch, feminine head, dark eyes, correct size and set ears, slightly lacking in jowls, very well-built body, long in the loin, good coat, very good angles, good movement'. So while she's never going to win any prizes in the show ring, she's fit to do a day's work. :)

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think there is a really important point to remember about the breed standard: if dogs meet the breed standard, they are fit to do a day's work. There is no conflict between the breed standard and being fit to work.

It's interesting to read the breed standard for the GSD:

The topline runs without any visible break from the set on of the neck, over the well defined withers, falling away slightly in a straight line to the gently sloping croup

Nade likes this.
  15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sorry, I mean from a physical capability point of view, not fitness, which could obviously vary.

16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Have the same type system here in France. A puppy isn't fully registered and therefore able to have offspring registered until they have passed their conformation test which is not before 15 months. Didn't bother with Juno as never had any intention to breed. Interestingly someone I know took their cocker spaniel for her test and she was marked down because 2 teeth weren't as straight as the judge wanted so that is now registered as a fault against her.

17. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I think that's true and I do think that people (myself included) often don't understand the "why" behind the features. There are also elements of the breed standard that have little to do with working ability too though....

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, I suppose the elements of the Labrador breed standard that are not about working ability would be:

1) Shape of the head (although arguably, the shape of the muzzle is about working ability as a U shaped mouth is better able to carry larger objects)

2) Shape of the tail (although there is talk of the tail acting like a rudder, it probably doesn't)

3) Colouring, including eye colour and expression

4) Size and position of ears

5) Height limits

And I think that is about it - I think a waterproof coat is about working ability (although it doesn't really seem to matter in the UK temperatures). The rest of the breed standard is about angles of conformation, straightness of limb and so on that is all about being physical capable.

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sorry, I meant to add - I think a reason why people think the breed standard is not about working ability is because they see over heavy show dogs and think "that dog could never do a day's work!". But the thing is, the breed standard doesn't describe a dog like that.....

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That's very true.