Puppy won’t pee outside of garden

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by M1n, Sep 16, 2021.

1. M1n

M1n Registered Users

Hi again, hope all are well. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and any tips to work around it. Neo had his final jab last week and is now able to have ‘proper’ walks (finally!), however he won’t pee when out and about. Yesterday I took him out for a 10min ride in the car to a nearby park for his first free roam (he was on the long line but I will be braver next time). I tried to get him to pee before we left but he wouldn’t. After about 15mins of romping in the park it was time to head back but he still hadn’t pee’d and was having a little whimper as clearly he needed to go what with all the excitement and several slurps from his water bottle. I was encouraging him using the same phrase I use in the garden but he wouldn’t go! I took him to different grassy areas to engage his nose but no joy - I waited him out as he clearly needed to and eventually he did go but we ended up being out longer than I would have liked given his age (14 weeks). Other than being super enthusiastic and treating when he did finally go are there any other things I could try? He has been going out on short walks around the neighbourhood too and hasn’t pee’d once but will happily go in the garden when we get back. Any advice welcomed, thanks.

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

I think waiting him out was the right thing to do. Being out for longer than the '5 minutes per month old' rule isn't a problem if you're just standing around while he sniffs the environment and psyches himself up for a pee. The more successes he has, the more his confidence will grow :)

M1n and Ivypup like this.
  3. Gone fishing

Gone fishing Registered Users

I wouldn't worry too much. In fact I would treat it as a good sign that he is aware enough to think about where he is peeing! It wont take long for him to figure out he can pee in the park - maybe 2 or 3 times when he's desperate and then he'll think it is totally normal. Hopefully! That's what happened with my pup anyway.

M1n and Ivypup like this.
  4. M1n

M1n Registered Users

Just a quick update - Neo is now 19 weeks and has finally started toileting fairly regularly whilst out and about on walks in the last week or so, yay! Thanks for the advice, he got there in the end. Now to work on going out to toilet or walks when it’s raining, he absolutely hates it! Such sensitive souls at times aren’t they?