puppy won't go for walk??

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by lordy70, Dec 13, 2012.

1. lordy70

lordy70 Registered Users

Hi
    We have a 12 week old Choc Lab pup that we have had for 2 weeks now. we have tried walking him for a week, but he stops and sits at bottom of drive. You then literally have to drag him and you get to the corner of the close, then you have to bring him back in case of choking him. He either sits or pulls back that much that you drag him along. we have tried walking him in the house first and although he does this to a small degree, he is still not happy. i am only talking about walking a few yards here. any help would be very much appreciated.
    thanks in anticipation.
    Alan

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: puppy won't go for walk??

Riley wasn't that bad but we definitely had some refusals to start with. The advice we got from our puppy trainer was to put a small amount of tension on the lead and then be patient, take a book if necessary (lol). I made a big error trying to entice him with food which was just rewarding him for his refusals.

It's not like he needs a lot of exercise at the moment it's more about getting him happy on his lead. I'm sure people who've had more than one puppy will have lots of good advice for you :)

3. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Hello Alan
    Welcome to the forum.
    Barbara's right, it won't harm him not to go for walks yet, although I would try to get him out to meet people and experience the world but keep him happy and relaxed so he doesn't get frightened, carry him if necessary, lots of positive words, touches and reassuring "good boys" will help.
    I'm assuming he's on a soft fixed collar and not a slip lead or halti, if so to get him used to the lead just clip a really light weight one onto his collar and let him drag it around a little and then whilst it's still there simply sit on the floor have a bit of play time. He'll soon get used to his collar and the lead, then try a little lead walking in the house, ideally with the ultimate prize at then end of it -DINNER! Take his lead off whilst he's busy munching. This way the lead becomes a positive thing and not something to be frightened of. All my pups get their little legs walked off in the house and around the garden long before they're allowed out. Most will baulk at being directed but they soon get used to it, lots of stops, as little dragging as possible and walking around in circles at their pace and before you know it they're off investigating the world towing you behind them!
    Good luck with your chocolate drop and let us know how he (and you too) get on.
    Kerryn

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there and welcome!

It may also be that he is a bit worried about what is outside 'his' known area... So you will have to make a big effort to get him out and about to meet other dogs and people, as this time is so important for socialization. As said before, carry him if necessary, but get him to a place where he can meet as many friendly dogs and people as possible. Good luck!

5. David

David Registered Users

Lady was like that too, and before that our Bull Terrier, Smutts, wouldn't walk unless the whole family went as well! With Lady we just made lots of encouraging noises and got her to move further by degrees. Once she got the idea that new and exciting things were just around the corner she was fine. That was when she was about the same age as your dog and we used to walk her for my daughter before we took her on full time. She used to get about 300 or 400 yds down the road and she would just stop and sit. It didn't last long. ;D

6. Paul

Paul Registered Users

The best advice I would give to you is "dont worry", dont rush it. Your anxiety will no doubt be going down the lead to the puppy.

I picked my new Lab pup up 2 wks ago, still concentrating on getting a good bond with her by playing etc. She has had her first jab, due for her second next Fri 21st so cant walk her anywhere yet, but she has under supervision had a collar with a light lead attached on to just drag around no pressure if she starts to chew it I distract her by some means.

She has daily expeditions to the end of the lane (carried in my arms) to witness passing traffic. She is gaining confidence each day and in general has settled very well. Plays until tired when she then puts herself to bed in her crate with the door open. Only time I lock it is when its bed time, had only 2 x 10 mins crying sessions (which to be honest wasnt really crying), just more interested in gaining her trust at the moment.

I have no doubts that when the time comes your pup will accept walking with you, dont worry and make an issue of it. Relax and enjoy him/her. Good luck.

7. lordy70

lordy70 Registered Users

Thanks for everyone's comments. We have tried a bit of everything, but he is gaining in confidence and we got him around the corner today - about 25 yards in total, lol.

8. David

David Registered Users

8)

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Well done, and keep going.

In just a few months he'll be wanting so much exercise you'll be looking back with nostalgia to the days when he didnt want to go out... ;D

Tammy Cooke likes this.
  10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

That big wide world can be a scary place :)
    As Karen said, in a few months time he will be raring to go :)
    Sorry , meant to say welcome from me too :)

11. Labrina

Labrina Registered Users

Alan, my pup is just past the 9th week mark and to be honest with you..before even attempting to walk him with a lead I used Pippas advice and simply placed him in a secure region and simply let him follow me making it extra interesting for him by about turning ..etc ...he followed. I then took Davids advice having him walk about teh house with the lead and hey presto...He walks like a mature dog ! By my side, no particular tactic without getting tangled within my legs either! Personally I prefer the notion of without the lead, but he also needs to learn to cooperate in traffic areas, so a lead perhaps is a must...