Puppy won't stop peeing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dio's mama, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Dio's mama

Dio's mama Registered Users

Our 11 week old puppy has to be taken out every 25-30 minutes even though he can hold it for 3 hours during the day in between visits and 7 hours at night. Yesterday 14 minutes after taking him out he peed himself while laying down. We took him out again but he proceeded to pee 5 more times in a 15 minute duration. I don't even know where he consumed all that water from?! I am taking him to the vet today but was wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would take a sample to the vet with you, he could easily have a little UTI (urinary tract infection). They are not unusual in small pups.

Bb

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

As Mags says, get him checked out but him needing to be taken out every half hour at 11 weeks is really not at all unusual.
    The length of time he can hold it at night isn't relevant to how long he can hold it when he's active during the day.

4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

You're not alone, my 3mth old pup is doing the same. He went to the vet last Saturday and was diagnosed with cystitis so is now on a course of antibiotics. He's much improved, is back in control of his bladder so we haven't had the bed wetting and uncontrolled puddles and dribbles but he's still drinking more than I think is normal at the moment.

Definitely take a sample to the vet, I used a shallow plastic container to catch his pee when he squatted, it does sound like a UTI.

Let us know how you get on.m

5. Lindy Rig

Lindy Rig Registered Users

I just went through a similar phase with Macy. Mine was more in the 8-10 week range but we still take her out about every 1/2 hour while she is awake and active. She can easily go 6 hours at night, now at 13 weeks I actually am waking her up at 4:30am to take her outside.

I would still get an urinalysis done at the vet. For Macy, I was told she had high PH and crystals in her urine. I put her on a cranberry supplement called Cranimals (available on Amazon). It seems to be helping so I would check that out if things don't improve.

6. Dio's mama

Thanks everyone for your input! We took him to the vet and there was nothing wrong which is good and bad news. We're thinking that when he's over stimulated (play dates) or excessively tired is when he has the back to back accidents so just like I used to do with my son I make him take a nap or have alone/down time. So far it's been working :)
    I was talking to another dog owner yesterday, she said that he may not be making the connection with outside being the only bathroom time. She suggested that we try to stretch out the time to an hour and take him out to potty only and right back in (as opposed to walking him around when it's potty break). She also suggested that IF we catch him in the act to sternly say no and put his nose by it then take him out immediately for potty; I've been doing all that except for the putting his nose by it. I'm gonna give this a try, this morning we stretched out the breaks to an hour and had no accidents. Fingers crossed.

One other question...is it normal that he pees on his blankets and bed? I always heard dogs don't pee where they sleep, he seems to make it his preference :-\

7. Boogie

Don't ever put is nose in it, this will do nothing but confuse and upset him :(

SwampDonkey and Edp like this.
  8. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Please don't put his nose in it :(

He's only a baby who can't hold his pee. He's not doing it on purpose. My puppy wasn't 100% reliable until he was about 5 months. Their little bladders just can't hold it.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  9. Dio's mama

THANK YOU!! I honestly thought that sounded a little old school but she stressed that she puts their nose by it not in it so I was like "duh ok".

After my last post I went on the Google machine to ask about peeing on his bed and got some good info. I decided I'm going to take a step back, start tracking what's really going on...i.e . how often is he having accidents, what's happening when he does, what are we doing/not doing...and then modify our plan based on that. I know my frustration is not helping the situation, I feel now with everything I've been reading this is normal and I don't have to be concerned just consistent in our training.

SO GRATEFUL for forums and reading how other people handle similar situations!

selina27, JenBainbridge, Cath and 2 others like this.
  10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Don't even give a stern "NO". Telling your puppy off for not being able to hold his bladder makes as much sense as telling a human baby off for soiling their nappy. All he'll learn is that when he wees, he gets told off, so he'd best to try not to wee in your presence at all. That's completely counter-productive with toilet training.

My puppy was a complete nightmare to toilet train. I knew it would get better eventually, but it took a looooooong time. Some puppies do. One of my others, Shadow, was almost perfectly clean at 14 weeks, when he came to me, despite not having been actually trained. They're all different.

11. Cath

Cath Registered Users

You need to take your puppy out when he has eaten, woke up from a sleep or played for a little while. Take him to the same place every time and when he goes make a fuss of him and tell him, he is a good boy and give him a treat. Do not shout at him this will only worry the poor mite. He will get there with your help. Good luck you know you can do it.

BevE likes this.
  12. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Hello. Reading your thread about over stimulation/excessively tired and the link to accidents. I have realised puppies get more tired than I thought and once I had realised that, I would take Red (now 16 weeks) to her crate and say 'time for a rest'. I'd pop a few treats in the crate and she'd go in sometimes muttering a bit but finally settling down. She now chooses to go in there and for the past few weeks, she have got into a better routine and there have been no accidents.

selina27 likes this.
  13. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

30 min intervals while awake at 11 weeks sounds about right.

When they are young there are some guidelines I followed:
    1. As soon as they wake up or you un-crate, take out to pee.
    2. Before you crate, take out to pee.
    3. Pay attention when they drink water, needs to go pee soon.
    4. Set time for 30 mins as soon as u begin play or he's active and take him out to pee.
    5. Don't let him drink alot of water before bedtime.

Sparky is about 10 months now and can go an hour between pee breaks when he is active, and longer upto 2 hours when he is not running around the house. I trained him to use a potty bell, so even if his timer is not up yet, and he needs to go, he will ring the bell and let us know he wants to go pee/poo. He is about 99% potty trained. First accident in a long time a few days ago, but he was overexcited and had an excitement wee.

It does get better, so just keep at it. Time flies quick and most people here say 4 months is the turning point for potty training.

14. Dio's mama

This is all great input! Since my last post we have pretty much been doing all that's been recommended (setting a timer, taking out after naps and activity, etc) and we have had a few accident free days! I did notice that when the evening cocktails start to pour we get sloppy with setting the timer, I'm glad there was something within our control to correct and help the little fella out.

He definitely likes to pee on a soft surface so we have had to remove bedding from his pen (not crate) for now...feel so bad about that! Don't really know how to resolve that one long term but I'm hoping as he learns to control his bladder he will lose interest in peeing on his blankets and bedding. I did order an elevated bed for his daytime pen in hopes that he won't want to pee on that.

selina27, SwampDonkey and xxryu139xx like this.
  15. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi good to hear things are improving. When your boy peed on his blankets did you clean them with an enzyme cleaner before washing them? If not that could be the issue of the repeated peeing on them. Although our noses can't detect any lingering smell, our pups noses can still smell it. It is important to follow the instructions on the bottle too - i.e. mine said leave for two to three minutes before wiping off...my OH thought it was spray and wipe immediately - I only discovered this when we had repeated pee's in one area by the back door and I couldn't figure it out, then I saw the OH doing the clearing up...spray and wipe straight away. Apparently OH's don't need to read instructions :rolleyes:. Once I cleaned the area the accidents stopped!

16. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Glad to hear things are getting better, keep at it and he will make it all the time.

17. Boogie

Good news:D

Long term he will certainly lose the wish to pee on bedding etc. Two of mine were widdlers (Mollie, my present pup, being a total widdle monster). They'd rush to any bed/mat to widdle on.

Mollie (six months old) is now 100% reliable absolutely everywhere. She's a Guide Dog pup and goes everywhere with me - this morning we were at Slimming World, posh room, carpet everywhere - she was really good :angel:

Bbb

drjs@5 likes this.