Pure bred lab?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by scoutpuppy, Oct 12, 2013.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Pure bred lab?

Hhmmm it should look like this

(img]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/bbrown72/WP_20130620_004_zps44b7bd69.jpg[/img)

But with square brackets at each end(I had to change them to curved otherwise you'd just get my picture)

2. scoutpuppy

scoutpuppy Registered Users

got it! ;D

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

4. bbrown

[​IMG]

5. bbrown

[​IMG]

6. scoutpuppy

Rite you are, now I know, thanks again! ;D

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I don't know if Barbara did something too but I just edited your pics, Holly, putting in the square brackets correctly.
    Hope you don't mind.
    Welcome to the forum from me and Lilly - almost 3 and half and a gangly black girl.

8. bbrown

I would have edited jac but I'm on the iPad and it's fiddly so I cut and pasted the code into fresh posts :)

I think Scout has a lovely kind face :D

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

2 meddlers at once - LOL.
    He does have a lovely face, love they white on his chin too.

10. scoutpuppy

Lol! thanks Jacqui and Barbara :D

Scout has a kind nature to match his face too, he's as soft as a brush! :D

The whites his beard, he started greying when he was about 2, he has a few bits by his nose too, looks like he's dipped his chin in flour!, Makes him look dignified ;D People also tell me that he doesn't look 4 and half and he doesn't act like for and half, in other words he's a big puppy who sometimes needs to calm down a few notches! ;D

Also, I know he's not standing perfectly in the side on photo, but if he was standing with both of his back legs extended a bit more behind him like the pointer in the photo he would have the curved tuck up like that :)

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum!!! :)

He's certainly tall, and his type is quite Pointer-ish (though his head looks very Labrador). But does his Pointer-ish body that mean he's a cross? Not necessarily. All Labradors, if you go back far enough, have various other breeds in their ancestry - Pointers, Flat-coats.... Some people would say that the chocolate gene has its origin in Pointers, rather than beng a natural colour mutation. Labradors are a creation, made up of the raw materials available. As we know, over time, enough uniformity was achieved so that the breed could become registered and recognised as 'pure'. It may still be possible that two Labs could produce a pup that, in body type, harks back to the days when other breeds were introduced and could resemble one of those breeds more than its parents do. You still see quite a few 'houndy' looking heads around (I would not say that Scout has a houndy head - he has a Labby head and expression).

Given that the ancestry of one of Scout's parents is unknown (i.e. not a registered dog) you won't really know unless you have a DNA test for Scout. I guess the question is - what would you do if you found out that he has a recent outcross in his ancestry, and would it really matter? As others have said, Labs still do vary a lot and many people who have undisputedly pure-bred dogs (registered dogs going back many generations) get asked what their dog is crossed with. My dog's pedigree is littered with dogs that have achieved Champion, Australian Champion, Grand Champion, Supreme Champion, or International Champion status in the show ring. Out of the 14 dogs in the last three generations, only three don't have Show Champion titles (and these are from top Aussie, NZ and UK kennels). So, what I'm saying is that my dog has a really good show pedigree and yet I STILL get asked ALL the time - 'pure bred, is he?'. It was exactly the same with my last dog (he had a better pedigree than the Queen, but at a fit 26 inches people couldn't compute that he was a Labrador). Unless your Labrador looks like a barrel being supported by concrete pylons, you are going to get people questioning his ancestry.

12. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi Holly

I have a black lab called Scout and his brother Scott. They are two and a half.

Black Scout has white flecks in him as well.

The two labs I have now are pure workers and are quite small,well compared to my old lab.

My old lab Murphy was a big Labrador. He had working blood in him. Very good working blood his grandfather was Breeze of Drakeshead the first lab to be field trial champion 3 years in a row. But Murphy was massive compared to most. People asked if he was crossed with a great dane. He wasn't I had the paper work and like Racheal says people expect to see a lab looking like a barrel.
    In his prime he was 35kg of pure muscle. They rippled when he waited for a retrieve.
    He went grey around the nose at about 3. Somebody told me dogs who sniff a lot go grey young as it damages the hair follicles. Don't know if that's true. ::)

He never looked or acted his age and only really slowed down about 6 months before he died at 15.

I was very lucky with Murphy he definitely was a big, gentle giant. He could be a rascal though and if I take my rose tinted glasses of as hard work as these two at times.

Your Scout looks and sounds gorgeous. He's your dog nothing else matters.

Jen :D

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=2859.msg29658#msg29658 date=1381608845]
    Unless your Labrador looks like a barrel being supported by concrete pylons, you are going to get people questioning his ancestry.
    [/quote]

Bloody hell! That's why no-one has EVER asked me about Charlie! ;D ;D ;D

14. scoutpuppy

Thanks all for your replies so far, they are really informative and helpful! :D

I have no doubt that the labs I went to see when I picked Scout out are Scouts parents, but because I always get asked about him looking like a pointer cross, I thought maybe a pointer got hold of Scouts dam during the same heat cycle, or is it suggestive that he has sort of pure lines in him producing the look of what early labs used to be like and looking like what labs were crossed with in the early days.

Although both Scouts parents are kennel club registered, for some reason, I can only get info on Scouts dams side, 5 generation with 12 field trial award winners and champs and 2 show champs, one being ''CH Fabracken comedy star'' on the 5th gen back, a beautiful looking black lab, there are also lots of Mannymills Labradors in Scouts pedigree, a few Rossbanks, a couple of Jimjoys and 1 Drakeshead.

Scouts Sires parents are ''King rex of Pelton'' and Imoya Liberty Bound, and Scouts dams parents are ''Heath briar banks of three valleys'' and Kenmilquin toffee girl of Plassisahill''

It goes to show that no one questions a person with a show type lab, I was walking with a friend who has a show type choc lab one day and someone stopped us and asked if my Scout was a cross because around where I live, peoples perceptions on labs are that all labs are short, stocky types, not gangly, tall, lean types like my boy ;D

That's interesting about the early greying too!
    And it's cool to know another Scout too :)

Holly

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Holly, Scout is so gorgeous and to me he has a Lab face and a very similar body shape and height to Charlie, but I think Charlie has a more Pointer face and also has the grey chin. What ever he is smashing and looks so soppy bless him, I bet he is a show stopper :) Lovely boy. Helen x

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Julie you always crack me up. ;D ;D ;D Helen x

17. bbrown

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=2859.msg29660#msg29660 date=1381610099]
    [quote author=Oberon link=topic=2859.msg29658#msg29658 date=1381608845]
    Unless your Labrador looks like a barrel being supported by concrete pylons, you are going to get people questioning his ancestry.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How very dare you! Casting nasturtiums on that beautiful boy! Don't worry Charlie we'll stick up for you ;D

18. scoutpuppy

Thanks Helen!

I thought that about their faces too, your boy does have a more pointer-ish face and a gorgeous one at that :D

Scout is as soppy as a sack!, he loves belly rubs, loves people, other dogs, animals etc etc. He is a show stopper, as well as getting asked nearly everyday if he's cross pointer, I get told nearly everyday how handsome he is, I bet your Charlie is the same too! :D

Holly

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well I think these pointer (or pointer-ish) boys look just lovely - who cares what they are, they are super handsome.

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=2859.msg29666#msg29666 date=1381613594]
    [quote author=JulieT link=topic=2859.msg29660#msg29660 date=1381610099]

[/quote]

How very dare you! Casting nasturtiums on that beautiful boy! Don't worry Charlie we'll stick up for you ;D
    [/quote]

Charlie doesn't care! He doesn't know that he is a podgy-street-urchin-show-boy-wannabe-gundog. He just wants to eat, run around, chase dummies and roll in stuff. He nicked and ate his 5 generation pedigree doc that came from the kennel club...

20. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If Scout's parents are both KC registered Labradors then Scout is a pure bred Labrador, because that is the definition of pure bred.

Just ignore the knockers. Your boy is beautiful.

I breed and show ducks and you would not believe it but the 'pure bred versus cross bred' debate in poultry is unbelievable. People almost come to fisticuffs over it. Damned hilarious, really.