Pushing kids over...

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by markclaxton, Jul 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. markclaxton

markclaxton Registered Users

Hello again.

We're having trouble with our 1-year-old choc lab Charlie.

Not always but most of the time, when my 3-year-old niece comes over, Charlie likes to push her over, he's never aggressive, never bites, he simply nudges her until she falls. He's like this with our 1-year-old nephew too.

He knows the 'leave it' command but when it comes to my niece he ignores it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I suppose on the bright side, that nudging them over is better than the full on Labrador bounce that some Labs apply to small children.:p

But I can understand the dilemma. Dogs and small children are a difficult mix. The children are squeaky and have abrupt, sudden movements, which often ramps up a young, excitable Labrador. So their interactions must always be very carefully monitored, and generally, the shorter the better.

Since these are not your own children, it will be a bit easier. Try the sit/stay/release, teach your dog to go to his mat and provide a tasty frozen Kong, use the crate along with a Kong for short periods as well....basically try to re-direct your dog's interest from the child to something else. Along with this will be training for your niece/nephew to leave the dog alone as well - you might find that one harder.o_O

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Often dogs shoulder bump each other when playing so I wonder if that's what's behind it....

Apart from that thought I agree with Lisa. Train some alternative, incompatible behaviours like being on a mat and ensure the children don't wind the dog up.

Good luck!

4. markclaxton

markclaxton Registered Users

Thanks for the advice =)