Puzzle games

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Re: Puzzle games

Oh, shudder....but to be fair, it wasn't so much the cone that did us in. Simba tolerated it well enough. In fact, too well, as he wouldn't let it get in the way of anything he wanted to do, so the edges of it got all chipped an fed torn from his vigorous sniffing, etc of the ground and from it bashing into everything (walks, fences, crate, tables, legs, whatever). So we had to repair it, using duct tape.
    And therein was the downfall. Because he soon discovered he could chew the duct tape, in fact it was SO much fun to chew and rip the duct tape and hence the cone kept falling apart and so we had to get another cone which soon needed repairing just as much as the other and therefore more duct tape and the introduction of the patented "two cone" method where you put one cone on over the first and then take the broken one off and repeat as necessary like 5x a day....I'm getting hives just thinking about it. But if you have a dog that leaves the wound alone, none of this is necessary. Here's hoping!!

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Are you sure Charlie will have to wear a cone? I have had five bitches spayed, 3 boys castrated, one dog had fractured elbow and had an op which involved screw and pins and none of them had to wear a cone. They just never bothered with the stitches.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Don't know, he hasn't ever had anything wrong with him before. Based on his chewing history, I'd say yes though, I reckon he'd chew stitches alright.

4. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

DexiD4DivaDog hated the cone but our Vet then supplied us with what looks like a glorified child swimming ring in a heavier plastic that had loops to fit through her everyday collar. She took to it instantly, didn't bother about it at all ..... very much a success

5. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=3673.msg41469#msg41469 date=1387141337]
    Are you sure Charlie will have to wear a cone? I have had five bitches spayed, 3 boys castrated, one dog had fractured elbow and had an op which involved screw and pins and none of them had to wear a cone. They just never bothered with the stitches.
    [/quote]

Agreed here too - in the last few years we've had 4 bitches spayed, 1 dog castrate, multiple lipomas off the old dog and a few bits of surgery on the cats. Only had to use the cone of shame on the dog castrate (yes, Brodick, you know who you are.....) which was probably the most minor op of the lot. Ask your surgeon to put subcuticular sutures in so there are no dangling ends to encourage him to lick or chew. And then as long as the wound is not painful (plenty of high quality pain relief) and there is no infection you have a good chance he won't bother the wound at all. Here's hoping anyway.....

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Same here , three bitch spays plus Sams castration and previous ones too , no cones here either , our Vet reckons that they cause such upset to dogs that its always best to start off without one and see how they go under supervision, hoping Millie wont need one in three weeks either :)

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Julie,the soft collar was useless Dexter carried on like it wasn't there,I think it was Helen that told me they aren't really supposed to be much good for larger dogs.....what I did though was put it on behind the plastic ecollar at night time,this pushed the ecollar further forward giving a little bit more protection...as I say he just investigated his tail enough times to worry me so it was an invention to disturb me during the night.I was sleeping on the floor with my arm over him,my thinking being if he goes to reach his tail the cone will graze my arm and wake me so I can supervise him!!!The things you do!
    When he has the second op the vet said he'll never reach it now.....Er right,for 3 days!by the third day he'd built his flexibility up and demonstrated quite effortlessly how limber he now was and could reach it!x

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

A cone is seriously going to annoy Charlie - I just know. He hates anything on him, a slip lead is the only thing he doesn't mind (and even then the stopper has to be way out, so it's super loose). I must be the only labrador owner that has to bribe my dog with chicken to put his flat collar and lead on to go for a walk.

The routine goes - bribe, collar, reward, Charlie dashes to his bed tries to rub his collar off and sulks. I pretend to leave without him, he decides that he is coming after all. If it's a harness, sometimes he decides he doesn't want to come at all.

I'll try training him to be calm in a few cones/collars - just in case...I don't hold out much hope, but I'll try. I agree with Kate - Charlie is likely to be super distressed by a cone.

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Do you think he would stressed by a body suit? Not sure they're a good look ;) but could be an alternative. I did some googling but realised I didn't know exactly where the incisions would be.... ::)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Probably not stressed, no, but I reckon he'd chew it to bits.

11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I do feel for you, Julie. I wouldn't have gone the "cone" route except it was obvious that Simba was definitely a licker! I would have tried the inflatable soft cone but vet they don't really work, and I think Angela proved that.

Hmmm...there must be others who have faced this...maybe try one of those body suits now? Get him used to it? It's all SO much harder with the added stress of trying to keep the wound clean.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=3673.msg41835#msg41835 date=1387339146]
    ...maybe try one of those body suits now? Get him used to it? It's all SO much harder with the added stress of trying to keep the wound clean.
    [/quote]

I'll try everything in advance - I bet he chews, or chews through, the body suit though, this boy is a serious obsessive chewer. Plus I think the wound is towards the back of his haunch and thigh, over the stifle joint, so unless the body suit has a leg in it, it won't cover it but I'll definitely have a look.

I have to find a way through this bit. Unfortunately, I fear that it's going to be the Angela solution 24hr care...let's hope I don't have too much work on, I'll have to try get someone to cover so I can take some time off.

I'll do everything suggested:

Talk to the surgeon about the stitches
    I've also seen an "anti-lick" strip of breathable fabric advertised that can be stuck over the wound that tastes horrible, so I'll ask about that too
    And I'll try a hard and soft cone and a body suit if I can get one that is likely to cover the area