Question about having a labrador in a car

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Karl Silver Must, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Karl Silver Must

Karl Silver Must Registered Users

Hello everyone!

I am a new member and soon a new lab owner too. We are expecting a puppy to join us in June. And to provide the best life for him/her I am researching also how to make her feel good in the car.
    The question I am battling with is if my proposed box is big enough for the dog. I hope you may be able to help me out.

First the car - I have a 2017 Volvo V90 estate.

The idea itself - Volvo offers an original system that divides the boot into two. I would also opt for a door just for the dogs' safety as we sometimes make stops in busy places. I plan to train the dog as well but just as a precaution. (I've also added an image with the system installed.

The measurements of the system (not 100% exact as I could not find the measurements from the internet).

Length - 111,5 cm (maybe gets shorter higher up but about 10 cm) (I also accounted for 3-4 cm that the door takes away as the original measurement of 115,5 is car measurement itself)

Width - The width of the boot is 113 cm. Considering that the divider is about 1,5 cm wide it would mean one half is about 55,5 cm

Height - The height of the loading bay is 70 cm.

Now my question is if this is enough for a full-grown lab or should I look for a box that takes up more than half of the boot and is not fixed in the car?

Additional question, should there be a harness for the dog as we have a lot of highways in Belgium? My previous dog was when we still lived in Estonia where no highways exist.

Thank you guys in advance!
    [​IMG]