Question about "runt puppy" behavior

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by DDoud, Mar 27, 2019.

1. DDoud

DDoud Registered Users

I recently purchased a new puppy who was the "runt" of the litter. I've had her a little over 6 weeks now(she's 16 wks old) and I'm still having difficulty housebreaking her. She will even go in her kennel, which I've never experienced in any of my previous labs. I've had her to the vet for several check ups/boosters, and they determined that she had a UTI. After 2 rounds of antibiotics, the issue is still there. We've had several other tests done, including xrays to make sure she has both kidneys. My vet wants us to do an ultrasound and a dye study to make sure the bladder isn't tilted or the urethra isn't pinched. I'm not completely sold on the need for this just yet. I feel like there are other options(stronger antibiotics, blood test to rule out diabetes or kidney function issues). Some people are telling me because she was the "runt", she will be a little behind developmentally. Has anyone every experienced this before? Looking for any suggestions to help with this issue. Not sure if it's just a maturity issue, or if it's something medically that I should be concerned about.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @DDoud

I don't think being small results in lack of mental maturity.

You puppy has a history of urinating inappropriately because of uti. Consequently I'm not surprised that the dog urinated inappropriately even after the antibiotics. The puppy has been self reinforced emptying one's bladder results in relief. I suggest your puppy does not know what is desirable.

I would follow the vet's suggestion. If you are not satisfied then seek a second opinion. At the same time start the toilet training as if your puppy has never had any. It is possible that the latter may be pointless if the vet is correct. But if it is now a behavioural issue then your training should see some gains.

3. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

My puppy was the smallest in her litter.
    She has juvenile viganitis I was told the immune system is immature and it will clear up when she has a season.
    She used pee pads and would go every 2 minutes she took longer to house train than my other dogs but at 6 months she is fully house trained now.
    So be patient it will happen.

4. Lucius Maximus

Lucius Maximus Registered Users

This might not help much as its a different breed of dog but my beagle (who will be 2 in July) was the runt of his litter (only boy in the litter of 7 and his sisters were all much bigger than him!) and we had a few issues house training him, didnt have a UTI or anything like that just a tiny little bladder which got better as he grew, once he got to 6 months he hardly ever messed in the house. He's still quite little for a beagle but he is fully housetrained now (thank goodness!). He used to pee in his crate too until he was 4-5 months old I think, never had any issues with pooping in the house, just peeing. Hope this helps!

[​IMG] My beagle called Pup now
    [​IMG]

My beagle when he was 8 weeks old (big brother Lucius wasnt very impressed)