Question re Labrador litter deaths

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Teresa56, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Teresa56

Teresa56 Registered Users

Hi everyone I'm new here - I'm Teresa in the US, and have been seeking a Labrador puppy that will be my (beloved family member and) service dog prospect for a while now. I have had a deposit and been on a wait list from a breeder (whom I thought I had researched well) - the litter due date was a few days ago. The dam is a small field bred Labrador with appropriate health clearances, 20" and approx 50 lbs. The sire also with health clearances is a tall, lanky field bred Labrador about 26" and 75 lb. I am just a lay person, but I did wonder if she would have trouble with the size of the puppies esp when they found out she had 13 puppies. I received communication from them today that she went into labor "5 days early" - 7 puppies were still born, 1 died after 3 days, and 5 remain. They and the mother are on antibiotics. "Next week is very crucial for these guys". That is all the information I have. Can someone give me information or your thoughts - was the size difference inadvisable and likely the cause of this poor mama's trouble and the loss of the puppies, or something else? Why would they now be on antibiotics? Should I still at all consider one of the puppies, if they come through this, or should I forfeit my deposit if that is what it takes? A very sad situation all around. Thanks very much for your time!

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Gosh how sad for everyone. I am no expert on dog breeding, but am a nurse. The sire was significantly larger and with the large size of the litter, it's not surprising they did not reach full gestation. Maybe there had been 5 or 6, they could have had a better chance. In humans antibiotics would be routine for an early delivery, due to increased vulnerability. An infection now with an immature immune system and respiratory system could be fatal. It would be hard to know with puppies I guess if there has been any cognitive consequences of an early delivery, I guess the ones that were still born had that impact. I personally wouldn't want to take one on without a conversation with the attending vet. Poor things, I hope the surving ones rally and do well.

3. Teresa56

Teresa56 Registered Users

Thank you so much for this reply, and thank you for your compassion - I know, my heart breaks for them all. And poor mama dog, what she has been through. Good advice about having a conversation with the attending vet. I so hope that all the puppies will heal and do well, too - in the ordinary, I'd be eager (after due diligence with the vet) to bring one home and love them to pieces. They have been through a hurdle in life already and need a great chance at life! But so very much is asked of a service dog, and perhaps these pups just need a regular home where they can be nurtured, loved and have less eventually asked of them. And perhaps as you say it won't even be known for some time, how the experience may have affected them. Your note helps thank you. I'm so very sorry for all.