Question

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lex, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Lex

Lex Registered Users

Loki has started crying outside the door of whichever room I go into, until he sees me again.

I get it's a bit of separation anxiety but what can I do to help?

Editing to add that he's not left alone when this happens. He's with the whole family in the living room but does this when I leave it x

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would only return when he’s quiet so that he learns that quiet = Mum comes back.

I would also practice leaving him alone for short periods.

:)

Lex likes this.
  3. MF

MF Registered Users

My husband complained that Snowie was always morose when I wasn’t around. I’d get WhatsApps asking when I would be home, signed Snowie!

But since my husband has been doing the morning walk and feeding most meals to Snowie (just how our schedules worked out), Snowie loves being with my husband, and no more sad WhatsApps!

Snowie has a few people he adores and is happy to be left with them. I’m still his No. 1, he’ll choose to follow me all over the house. But he’s not upset when I’m not around.

So, while I agree with Boogie that you need to train Lex to be ok to be alone, I wonder whether it might be an idea to get all the others in the house to be Lex’s NBFs so that he’s as happy to be with them as he is with you. Can’t they play with him when you’re not around, for example?

Lex likes this.
  4. Lex

Lex Registered Users

As much as this is great advice, it made me giggle. I'm Lex, my pup is Loki lol!

Yeah you're right, he's fine when being entertained but my hubby works from home so if he's at the table working or busy with the kids, he whines for me until I appear again. He can be crated ok and will nap when he's tired, but when he's free to roam, he's literally under my feet and waits outside the kitchen and bathroom for me.

@Boogie I've found myself trapped in the kitchen lately as I haven't wanted to show myself until he stops crying lol! Will keep at it.

Thanks guys x

5. MF

MF Registered Users

Oops, sorry Lex!!! I knew his name was Loki, but then I saw Lex and thought I must be confused with another forum member!!

Snowie follows me everywhere. As a puppy he even cried when I was in the shower where he could see me through the glass door. But he’s an adult now and not worried as long as he knows where I am. If the bathroom door is closed, he’ll lie outside. But yep, he’s my shadow. I don’t see it as a problem at all - I like his company. But he can be left alone with no issues at all - but this we actively and slowly built up to over many months when he was a little puppy.

Lex likes this.
  6. Lex

Lex Registered Users

That's ok! Made me giggle!

Yeah I won't mind either, as long as he's not crying for me. I remember my babies went through this stage too and like them, guess it will just take a little time as well

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
    MF likes this.
  7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Absolutely agree, even for a few seconds, nip out, wait...pop back in, give Loki a small training treat. This is how I worked with our two pups. I also trained a "settle on the bed" cue around the same time. The kikopup pups on youtube are invaluable in helping with this, as well as great fun! :)