Random "dog thoughts" thread

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Xena Dog Princess, Oct 29, 2016.

1. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We have a fan on for Quinn, directed to her bed :)

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

If you get a plastic bottle half fill it with water then freeze it ot get it really cold in the fridge and stand it infront of a fan the air is much cooler

drjs@5 and JenBainbridge like this.
  3. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Had a great walk in the forest today :) About 20 metres away on an upper trail a man was walking his two dogs off lead. I decided to do some focus work to keep my dog's attention on me until they passed, but one of the dogs spotted us and hightailed it to greet us (well to greet him, she completely ignored me :donttalk:). The man was trying to recall her back to him to no avail, so I decided to keep walking after they had had a short greeting. Well very casually I turned away and called him to follow me - and he did :D For a dog who goes crazy for other dogs, this was a great moment for us :sun: I could tell he was thinking seriously about running back to the other dog, so I kept his focus by playing some watch me's and find-it games with a bit of chicken :D Small victories...

4. SwampDonkey

Rory flirted with his favourite vet today. The situation is hopeless how can she give him a check up when hes lying on top of her in a state of pure bliss. He loves Bethan and she thinks hes in great condition . He weighs 30.7kg in so pleased with him. I do feel like another dog too oh oh!

Granca, 20180815 and kateincornwall like this.
  5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Great work :clap:

20180815 likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

He is just wonderful. Its a big victory :D

20180815 likes this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

We were a tad hot on our walk this morning. It was around 17C at 8:30 in the plantation, we did our usual 10 fetches - fine. We moved on, then we normally do another 6 fetches, but Coco stopped it after 2. We carried on, he was desperate for more fetches so I allowed another 4, spaced well apart. Then a slow walk back for a big drink at the car. Kicking myself for not taking the water with me. It'll be back to 13C next week!

8. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley still wont swim :(

We took him to the river tonight to cool him down. Charged straight in, then wouldn't go past where he couldn't stand.

I'm taking him to Doggy swimming lessons. Probably at the extreme of crazy dog lady, but my friend is coming and bringing Mila too.. so why not :D

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  9. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

It's been very hot where I am, hovering at the 30 degree mark. Axel just becomes very lazy (more lazy than usual;)) any walks we do with him are usually done at night time once the sun has gone behind the mountains.

He loves to suntan but I can't help but worry he's going to get sun burnt or heat stroke so I limit him.

I normally bring him to the lake early in the morning before it's too hot but we are so flooded right now that we don't have any beaches!! So that will have to wait a bit.

10. SwampDonkey

Me and Moo are suffering a bit with the heat but her breathing is laboured. I had a lot of problems with Doug in the heat so I've got a few tricks up my sleeve.
    I'm also worried about a friend who's decided to get 2 female pups from the same litter for so many reasons.

11. Sven

Sven Registered Users

This made me smile...plus the comment in a different thread...
    I know 26 in UK is different then here, having lived there.
    In the summer we have a kids padling pool, with a parasol to keep the water cool. Turn the sprinklers on and let her run or stand under them. We also have a cool mat inside ans a fan for the very hot days. Mainly when it is about 18 then jumps to 35 and then drops back down. This is generally our spring. Summer a whole different story
    Also make ice blocks/ice lollies filled with treats/kibble out of chicken stock and frozen fruit slices.

Hope this helps...

JenBainbridge and edzbird like this.
  12. SwampDonkey

Yep moo has a heart murmur so the heart makrs her heart labour and the heat compounds my heart circulation problems and chemo side affects.the heat is a dangerous thing.

13. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I'll be interested to hear how Stanley gets on with the swimming lessons as Molly loves to wade but won't go deep enough to swim, even if I've been in with her. She's the first non-swimmer I've had and it seems very strange. Sometimes I think it makes life easier as it means I can have her off lead on a river bank where there are sheep on the opposite bank, knowing she won't swim across.

JenBainbridge likes this.
  14. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Maybe all he needs is to follow another dog's example? Do you have any friends with swimming dogs? Xena won't do more than wade either. It doesn't bother me, I actually find it funny (what breed is she again?) Then on Friday we attached ourselves to a lady walking with her two dogs and bam, Xena followed them right in to the water! She didn't swim, but she wouldn't have gone in if they hadn't been there.

The doggy swimming lessons sound like fun, though. Give me a pool over the beach any day :D

15. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I bought Ella another (I can see the OHs eyes rolling from here) bed. This one is warm, fluffy and cosy, with an extra blanket to keep her warm over winter.

She seems to be happy :)
    rps20170527_203337.jpg

16. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I've taken him with other dogs and his Doggy day care lady has, he just won't do it! And OH won't go in to get him to follow :rolleyes:

I don't mind really, except he loves the water. As soon as he sees it he's straight in for a splash so I think he'd really like to swim. And it's obviously better for their joints so I'd like that.

If he doesn't like it when I take him for swimming lessons we won't go again, I won't force it. I just really do think he'll love it. And I think he'll look too adorable with a little life jacket :D

17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I love swimming in rivers, sea, lakes etc but Molly won't follow me in -she just gets upset when I'm out of reach (unless she swam). Last summer I sometimes left her at home when I went down to the beach for a swim so she didn't get distressed.
    Hope Stanley takes to the pool.

18. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Ah right, hah, he definitely is Xena's brother from another mother. Paws crossed that he enjoys the lessons and figures it all out. You might end up regretting unleashing the beast lol.

19. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Quinn was like this, so OH held her up in the water so she had to paddle and basically once she started paddling let her go...And she was off! It took a bit longer for her to get the courage to take her feet off the ground on her own, but one time at the lake followed other dogs and now we can't keep her out of the water!

20. Cath

Cath Registered Users

He will do it when he is ready. I had a dog that wouldn't go in water, then one day he was about 2 he just went in and never looked back :D