Raw eggs in food?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MandyRae, Feb 18, 2018.

1. MandyRae

MandyRae Registered Users

Hello my husband mentioned something about putting a raw egg in my pups food? Does anyone do this? I'm worried it won't be good for her? Just wondering on thoughts or if anyone does this? Are there benefits?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My dogs all have a raw egg a couple of times a week - shell and all. They love them :)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Same here!

4. MandyRae

MandyRae Registered Users

So not as a daily thing? Just a couple of times a week? I will have to try it!

5. MF

MF Registered Users

You can give one egg daily. Just watch her weight - not that I think one egg can make a difference, but everything adds up.

Some people wash the shells first because some egg companies coat the shell with chemicals to prevent mold. Mine won’t eat the shells and doesn’t know how to break the egg (I suppose he would work it out eventually), so I just break it into his food.

6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

There seems to be different schools of thought on raw eggs. Some say no raw eggs until at least 6 months old. Some say no raw eggs ever. Some say raw eggs from puppyhood is fine. Xena gets a couple of raw eggs per week, sometimes more if I have cracked shells (I keep chickens), and I started it at 6 months old (breeder had said to wait). If I ever get another puppy I'd give the odd raw egg straight away.

MandyRae likes this.
  7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam used to love gently carrying an egg outside where he would take it to the garden path and , with a toss of his head, throw it down to smash it then eat the lot shell and all x

drjs@5, CMartin, Naya and 4 others like this.
  8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I love the first time you give a Labrador a whole raw egg... They tend to carry them around gently for a while, working out what to do with it. They all have different methods - Poppy carries hers to a private spot in the garden, then carefully uses her insisors to make a small hole, then licks the raw egg delicately out... Merlin just smashes his with his paws and makes a frightful mess :rolleyes:

drjs@5, MF, CMartin and 4 others like this.
  9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley loves raw eggs. She carries hers to the garden, drops it gently then bounces around it and gently plays with it. After a few minutes she lies down and makes a tiny hole and licks it. She used to eat the shells but has stopped doing this over the past few months.

MF and CMartin like this.
  10. LushRose88

LushRose88 Registered Users

It's funny how much things differ between the UK and the United States. I had never heard of feeding a dog raw eggs or chicken wings until browsing these forums! While reading a post about allowing you dogs to crunch down and swallow whole raw chicken wings, I thought for sure everyone was joking!

11. CMartin

CMartin Registered Users

Raw eggs for puppy (2,5 months) Gaston in Portugal too. He loves them. I crack them open over his kibble, so no shell. I do this about twice a week.

12. CMartin

CMartin Registered Users

I have always, or better, most lately (last 10 or 15 years) heard chicken, duck, turkey bones are nono for dogs. One must debone them first.
    Strange is that my grandmother a long time ago (she is deceased) fed all her (and our) dogs poultry with bone and all (used to cook it with rice). All was fine and healthy dogs.
    Dont wolves eat bones ? Dont dogs come from wolves ? Are they not carnivores ?

It's just really all so confusing.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Raw bones are fine (not load-bearing bones from large animals, but ribs, or turkey, chicken and duck) - but never give a dog cooked bones.

CMartin likes this.
  14. LushRose88

LushRose88 Registered Users

I hear they are fine if they are raw because they are softer and don't splinter as cooked chicken bones do. I had always thought it was a big no no for my entire life though, haha. My mom always fed our family dog raw hamburger and steak. He lived to be about 15 years old.

CMartin and Karen like this.
  15. CMartin

CMartin Registered Users

Yes, @Karen and @LushRose88, I have also heard that bones must always be raw..(vs. my grandmas cooking them.)

And no pig bones ?

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I feed pigs tails, trotters, ribs and mince to my dogs.

CMartin likes this.
  17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

And dried ears too

CMartin likes this.
  18. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Are these raw from thebutcher?

CMartin likes this.
  19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My dogs get raw trotters and ears on occasion, too, as well as pork ribs. Supermarkets over here sell the trotters and ears alongside everything else! :)

selina27 and CMartin like this.
  20. CMartin

CMartin Registered Users

Cow femur raw ? Is that ok ?